Katie Puiia ’18

• Hometown: Rumford, ME
  • Specialization: Health Promotion

Why URI?

I am a little embarrassed to admit this, but I wasn’t aware of URI until approximately three weeks before the application deadline when a mentor of mine asked me if I had applied. I decided to visit URI the following week and was hooked. Having over 100 clubs and organizations, a beautiful campus by the ocean, a large student body, and a highly respected science program – how could I say no? I had toured numerous colleges and universities, but nothing felt quite like URI. I was in a state I had never been to, surrounded by people I had never met, and somehow, I felt home. Already motivated and eager to chase my dreams, one visit left me feeling inspired to ‘think big’. Needless to say, that’s why I chose URI.

why did you major in health studies?

It took me two years to realize that pharmacy was not the path for me. My passion for improving health care and helping others was apparent, but I was unsure of how to pursue this passion academically. Declaring my major in Health Studies not only led me to be more engaged in my courses, but it also provided me with opportunities to apply my knowledge outside of the classroom.

what do you consider to be the greatest strength of health studies?

When you tell people that you major in Health Studies, you are frequently asked ‘what can you do with that degree?’ I, too, had the same question. In addition to answering this question for me, advisors and professors helped me to figure out the direction I needed to go in in order to pursue my passions. With this being said, I believe the greatest strength of the program is the team of advisors and professors. These individuals not only provide guidance, but also work tirelessly to create opportunities for students to learn and grow, both personally and professionally. They provide students with the option to take part in networking events with alumni, symposiums, mock interviews, career fairs, and more. In addition to just providing these opportunities, they  also encourage and motivate students to engage in and take advantage of these opportunities. Adhering to the advice of my advisors and professors, I was able to come away from these events with a multitude of knowledge, new relationships, and a stronger passion for health.

did you complete an internship?

Throughout my senior year I completed an internship with i-STAND. The i-STAND program operates as part of the Bystander Intervention Training Program within Community, Equity & Diversity on campus at URI. The mission of i-STAND is to provide education and awareness to the campus community regarding sexual assault, domestic violence, and stalking as well as to promote active bystanders to prevent these crimes. The i-STAND program creates and performs interactive bystander intervention workshops and programs to educate and increase awareness regarding partner violence, stalking, sexual assault, date rape drugs, sexual harassment, hate crimes, and related issues, as well as to provide community service both on and off campus. i-STAND hosts a variety of education and awareness booths, presentations and activities on campus that aim at educating the URI students but also the public visiting university grounds. Additionally, due to NCAA requirements, student-athletes are educated by the i-STAND program throughout their four years the the university, which provides training in the prevention of sexual violence. This program not only provides trainings for athletes but also for residence halls, Greek life, and in many classrooms of different academic concentrations.

any advice for majors?

The greatest piece of advice I can offer is to get involved. Ask questions in the classroom – how, why, what if, etc. Establish relationships with your professors and advisors, they are some of your biggest advocates. Lastly, enable yourself to grow (personally and professionally) and take advantage of the opportunities provided.

what surprised you the most about uri?

For a university of its size and stature, URI does a phenomenal job at creating and maintaining a close-knit community. It is guaranteed that the people that you encounter at this university will enhance your life in a multitude of ways and inspire you to truly ‘think big’.

what’s next?

After graduating with my Bachelor of Science this May, I aspire to take a year to explore and gain experience within the realm of health. During this year, I will utilize my time to work towards my professional and personal goals in preparation for the next step: graduate school. In the fall of 2019, I plan to embark on the journey to earn my Master of Public Health in Epidemiology.