Lockout Information

If you’re locked out:

  1. Try to locate your roommate or suitemate to let you in
  2. Try to locate a student staff member (keeping in mind that they may be in class or unavailable)
  3. Contact the Campus ID Office for a new ID.
    (*fees may apply for some services)
  4. Contact HRL Customer Service 401.874.4151
    M-F 8:30 am-4:30 pm
  5. Outside of those hours, contact the RA on call phone for your building
    M-F 4:30 pm-8:30 am
    Weekends 24 hours

If for some reason you still need assistance, contact Non Emergency Dispatch 24/7 401.874.4910

The Campus ID and Dining Office also offers assistance if you are locked out of your room:

  1. Encode or reprint a defective ID card (no charge if defective card is turned in)
  2. Print a new ID to replace a lost or misplaced card (fee applies)