Last but not least….

Well, it’s that time of year again. People are planning their courses for the fall semester, thinking about the wonderful beach break coming up, and looking forward to another school year. But not me…

I’m GRADUATING!

I can’t believe it’s almost here. The last four years flew by, especially this spring semester!

This experience has been so enjoyable and I loved writing about all the wonderful classes, activities, and opportunities that Campus Rec and URI has to offer.

In light of it almost being summertime, I’m going to share with you some of my favorite healthy tips for the warmest months of the year and my post-blog plans!!!

Listen up! Here are some suggestions for living a healthy and balanced life this summer!

Eating with the seasons!

One of my favorite ways to ensure that I’m eating healthily is to focus on all the fruits and all the veggies. Buying local produce that’s in season is not only cheaper and better for the environment, but it also tastes fresh and delicious!

The memory of picking blueberries with my sister on a summer’s day pops in my head when I think of summer foods!

The best tasting produce in season (in my opinion) are: corn on the cob, tomatoes, summer squash, basil (hello, fresh pesto!!!), cucumbers, and raspberries!

Simply prepare and eat these gems on their own, or pair them together in a yummy salad – berries in salad with a hint of basil is a must try!

Leave the gym!

On a beautiful summer’s day you may wake up and just want to be outdoors, but also get your workout in. Take it outside!

Don’t stress about “skipping” a gym workout to be outside. Getting some fresh air is great for your mental health, and can be a dynamic way to move your body!

A swim in the ocean can be a super fun and effective cardio workout. Start with a swim style of your choice for 10 minutes, then expand over the weeks to working on breaststroke, backstroke, and maybe even butterfly!

Elly kayaking on the waterThe options are endless – runs on the beach, towel workouts, paddle boarding, even rock climbing. After a few hours of kayaking, my arms are exhausted….so give it a go (just be sure to slap on some sunscreen)!

Drink up!

We’ve all heard a million times how important drinking water is for our bodies, but it’s especially important to hydrate in the hot months.

A good rule of thumb is to cut your bodyweight in half (in pounds), and drink that number in ounces! I like to gulp down most of my water intake during the first half of the day.

Before your morning coffee, fill up your mug with water and enjoy (bonus: add a squeeze of lemon!). This will rehydrate you after you wake up, help with digestion, and energize your body for a busy day in the sun!

Buy yourself a cute reusable water bottle if you haven’t already and carry it around with you everywhere you go!

Where will I be going?

As you all know, I love wellness and sharing ideas, tips, and tricks to staying healthy as a college student! I have decided to take this passion to the next level and work towards earning my personal training certification to be able to work one-on-one with people who want to better their lives with exercise.

I also plan to start a graduate program to get my Master’s in Health and Wellness Coaching in the fall!

As always, I will still be attending group exercise classes (no longer at URI, sadly), making a mess in the kitchen, and trying my best to meditate my stress away.

I’ll be in hanging out on the beach in Rhode Island this summer, spending time with my family, and walking my dog.

I’ve loved writing this blog and being a part of your day. I hope you learned some new stuff, were inspired with new ideas, and enjoyed hearing about my journey! Get ready for next semester because there will be more blogs coming your way!

I appreciate each and every one of you! Have a SENSATIONAL SUMMER!!!

~ Elly

One comment

1. Congratulations ELLY! I’ve loved following your Campus Rec blog and will miss you. I wish you all the wonderful things life has to offer….Enjoy!