Dining Halls and Down the Line

Leah chopping and smilingThe first time I walked into the dining hall I was in shock. I could eat chicken nuggets and ice cream for lunch? Everyday? I was in heaven. Growing up my mom didn’t keep sugary cereal or lots of processed food in the house so having unlimited access to lucky charms was quite dangerous for me. Flash Forward two years and I’m living off campus walking into Stop & Shop with a grocery list that consists of eggs, bread, and cheese (because I could NOT cook).

So if you’re like me and nutrition is something that you struggle with I’m here to give you 3 tips for the dining hall and down the line!

1.)Don’t be scared of carbs!
I’ve heard so many people say “I’m going on a diet and cutting carbs”. Carbs do no make you gain weight! Carbs are essential in eating a balanced meal.

EAT THIS: Whole grains, vegetables, fruits, beans
These types of carbs are full of fiber and will keep you full longer and will not spike your blood sugar.

NOT THAT: White bread and rice
These types of carbs are refined and processed. They will spike your blood sugar and have you feeling hungry again in short periods of time.

The dining hall has an amazing salad bar (Both Butterfield and Hope) so make sure you load up on those veggies! Also, simple swaps in your daily meals to incorporate healthy carbs. For example, turn your white bread (or tortilla) into wheat! Or your white rice in your burrito bowl into brown!Leah chopping

If you live off campus and shop at the grocery store I suggest picking up a box of brown minute rice and frozen veggies! These are staples on my grocery list because they don’t go bad and can be paired with a protein source for a well-balanced meal.

2.) Pack your plate with protein!
Protein is essential for your body to build and repair tissue. So if you’re trying to build muscle is important that you increase your intake.

How much protein do I need?
The average human needs 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight. If you’re an athlete or you’re very active 1.2 grams is recommended.

EAT THIS: Lean meat (chicken and turkey), eggs, beans (lentils and garbanzo), and nuts
These sources are great because they’re high in protein and low in saturated fat! Meat is always a great way to get your protein but if you’re vegetarian or vegan beans and nuts are a great option too!

NOT THAT: Fatty meats (Dark meat), Red meat, deli meat
Dark meat and red meat are high in saturated fat. This can raise bad cholesterol which can cause plaque build ups in your arteries. Its recommended to LIMIT your red meat consumption, not cut it out altogether because it is a great source of iron. Deli meat is highly processed and has been linked to an increased risk of cancer.

Did you know that you can get grilled chicken from the grill station in Hope? Just walk up and ask for a piece! Also, both dining halls have hard boiled eggs and beans at their salad stations. If you eat dairy you can also find protein in milk, cheese, and yogurt.

Protein staples on my grocery list include chicken breasts and salmon burgers! Both, I usually end up freezing in order to keep longer. When I freeze meat or fish I usually place them individually into a plastic bag and then move them into the refrigerator 8-12 hours before I want to cook them.

3.) Fat doesn’t make you fat!
There are so many things out there on the internet, different low and high-fat diets that make you lose weight. My opinion? Moderation. We’ve all heard of the forbidden “trans fats” but what even are they? They increase bad cholesterol and inflammation in your body, so make sure you stay clear. Saturated fats are solid at room temperature while unsaturated fats are liquid at room temperature.

EAT THIS: Extra-Virgin Olive Oil, Avocado, peanut and almond butter, fatty fish, flax seeds and nuts     

Monounsaturated fats, have a single carbon to carbon double bond and are liquid at room temperature, include olive oil, nut butter, and nuts. Monounsaturated fats have been linked to lowering the risk of heart disease.

Polyunsaturated fats are essential, meaning your body does not make them so you must get them through your diet. Your body needs them for blood clotting, muscle movement and reducing inflammation. Salmon, sunflower oil, sardines, and flax seeds are good sources.

NOT THAT: Butter, shortening, fatty cuts of meat, fried food, processed baked goods
Saturated fats are solid at room temperature. A diet rich in them may lead to an increase in total cholesterol which could result in blockages of the arteries, so it is important to limit your consumption. Butter, fatty red meat, whole milk, and cheese are all high in saturated fat.

Leah holding oil and avocadoBoth Butterfield and Hope commons offers olive oil as a salad dressing. My go-to salad is topped with olive oil, hard-boiled eggs, and a dollop of guacamole for that extra boost of healthy fats! Both dining halls also always have peanut butter, perfect to pair with your favorite fruit or whole grain bread! If you’re a salmon lover like me make sure you keep your eye out for it at the homestyle station.

My grocery list is FULL of different healthy fat options. I always have two to three avocados on hand which I’ll have on toast, with my eggs, or in my salads! I also always have olive oil, which I’ll cook my eggs in or drizzle on top on my salads. Another staple in my diet is salmon, It’s easy to bake or sear in a pan and is full of polyunsaturated fats. Almond butter is always on my list, it’s perfect in oatmeal or paired with fruit.

OVERALL, it’s important to eat food that you enjoy and makes you feel good. As college students, it’s easy to make an impulse calzone purchase which isn’t always a bad thing! Just make sure you’re incorporating healthy foods and well-balanced meals.

I hope this post helped you understand nutrition a little better and gave you some ideas for the dining hall and down the line! What are your favorite things to fill your plate with at the dining hall? Or some staples on your grocery list? Let me know in the comments!

See ya next week!
-Leah