Back to Reality

This summer has looked different than what we typically experience. We can only expect to see changes in our school year too, and this can be anxiety-inducing for many students. Change is hard, especially when the future is very unknown, but try to remember that you are not alone, and everyone is feeling off these days. Here are a few tips I find helpful when feeling anxious about the new school year ahead: 

• Plan to stay in touch with friends who went to other schools: Being in a new environment can be scary without your best friends. Make sure to stay in touch with them by scheduling weekly or even bi-weekly video chat meetings. It can be scary if this is your first time on your own, but staying in touch with loved ones will keep you from feeling too homesick. This semester it will be more common to feel homesick, especially because we can not be as social. Talking to our friends and laughing is so important for our mental health. Being social is a priority, even if we can only do it through video calls for now. Don’t worry, this is not forever.yoga mat with weights on the ground
  • Exercise: Getting daily movement is important for our mental health. With gyms having limited openings, that does not mean there is no way to stay fit. URI Campus Recreation is providing virtual and outdoor fitness options this semester. This is a great way to meet other students and stay active. The schedule will be listed on IMLeagues.com/uri if you are interested. In addition, there are tons of Youtube videos for at-home workouts. Put those textbooks to use, and use them as a weight for your at-home sessions!  
  • Meditation: Meditation can bring you back to a calm headspace. Change can cause anxiety for so many students. Taking ten minutes out of your day to meditate will only benefit yourself. The hardest part is getting yourself to do it, but afterward, you will never regret it! Campus Recreation is offering meditation classes by our wellness instructors, which will also be listed on IMLeagues.com/uri. This is a great opportunity for beginner meditators. There is no reason to not at least give it a try. desk facing a window inside a home
  • Make a designated spot for your online classes: Creating a corner in your home to do your classes is extremely beneficial. This will be many student’s first time taking online courses. Online courses can be great because you do them in your own time, but they do require a lot of motivation. I find the best way to stop myself from getting distracted is by creating a space to work. I put a desk in my room for when I need to do schoolwork. Whenever I try to do schoolwork in my bed I find myself watching YouTube videos instead. Having this designated spot to do my work in, has benefited me a lot.  books and a water bottle
  • Don’t sweat it: Being in a new environment is overwhelming for everyone. Don’t stress too much about it, because things will fall into place for you. Everyone finds a group of friends and if you forget something at home, it can always be mailed to you. School is going to be different this year, but try to stay positive, and when you are feeling overwhelmed try one of these tips above. Enjoy the experience!

author: Lisa M.

Hi! I’m Lisa, a senior at URI getting my degree in public relations. I have lived in Rhode Island my whole life and decided to continue my education here. I am excited to be working with URI Campus Recreation this semester. With everything going on in 2020, it has sparked my passion for health and wellbeing. During these hard times, I find it’s easy to get into a rut, but I have tried my best to stay positive and focus on what makes me happy. I try to be outdoors as often as I can. I love going to the beach, biking, and just and enjoying the warm weather while I can.”