Mask Up in the Gym: It’s Worth the Workout!

As we all know, URI has a mask mandate that requires all students and staff to wear masks while indoors on campus. This includes our facilities like the Anna Fascitelli Fitness & Wellness Center and the Mackal Field House. 

Gym with Students in MasksDon’t we all remember when we were in the thick of the pandemic and everything was shut down? We couldn’t even go to the gyms let alone workout with a mask on. Of course it is not ideal, but it is still worth it to go to the gym. The gyms on campus are FREE to all students. Don’t let masks stop you from being active! I myself haven’t been as consistent as I would like working out and using our facilities. So, I decided to go to Fascitelli the other night to see how it was.

It’s Too Empty in Our Gyms!

Gym Anna FascitelliThe first thing I noticed was how it was not nearly as packed as it would’ve been in 2019 at 4:30 on a Tuesday evening. There were a good amount of students lifting weights and doing core work, but it was pretty empty in the cardio section. I understand how hard it can be to do cardio with masks on. If you go to the gym to run on the treadmill or do the stair climber and don’t feel comfortable doing it with a mask, I suggest going on a run around campus! It is perfect running weather around this time and there are plenty of hills and stairs around that could help give you a killer workout. It gets easier and easier once you get used to wearing a mask, though. It’s absolutely still possible to get a good workout while masked up.

My Experience Wearing a Mask in the Gym

As for my workout, I felt just as good coming out of it as I would during a workout without a mask. I didn’t feel any less comfortable or less energetic under the circumstances. It might take a few times to get used to it, but once you do you won’t even think twice about having to wear a mask in the gym. Something I would suggest is wearing a light, but comfortable mask. I went with one of the classic disposable ones because that’s all I had on me. That worked for me, but if you would prefer something else there are plenty of reusable athletic ones you can find online if you plan on going regularly.  

Masks shouldn’t affect the quality of your workout if you stay focused and positive.  And it’s not a crime to put your mask down for a quick second. It is ok to take a break, grab a sip of water and catch your breath while staying socially distanced from other students. One thing I will mention, though, is it is only fair to everyone to go by the guidelines. If you look around, all of the campus rec staff have them on, as well as all of the students working out. So don’t just walk around with your mask down without consideration for everyone else who is wearing one. 

Watch our most recent TikTok on how to NOT wear a mask this year at the gym!

At the end of the day, we just want to keep URI safe while encouraging our students to use our gyms and stay active. Again, if you don’t feel comfortable wearing a mask while working out, try working out at home and or outside. But I assure you, it is 100 percent worth it to take advantage of all of our facilities! I know I will be!

Hi Everyone! My name is Collin and I am a senior majoring in Sports Media and Communications with minors in Journalism and Business. I’m excited to be a part of the Campus Rec team here at URI! I have always enjoyed writing and I’m happy to have this great opportunity to get my name out there and gain experience. I love sports, especially the Boston teams, and follow them each and every day. I also write for our student-run Sports Media club here on campus, Anchor Sports Network. I enjoy being active, whether it’s on campus or off, going to the gym, and playing sports. I am on the Club baseball team at URI and also enjoy playing basketball. I hope to give everyone a different perspective on things and spark interest with you in whatever I write about!