My Favorite Summer Activities

Listen to “Favorite Summer Activities” here

Summer feels like it is in full swing now. Sunlight is the longest it will be all year and I don’t remember the last time I had to check the weather app to see how I should dress. 

Summer is a great time to get outside and enjoy the day. I’ll be the first to admit there are some days in summer that I feel like doing nothing. Or I’m uninspired to do any activities but sit and watch tv, or pass time on my phone all day. 

I can always get caught up in the moment of it all. Here are some of my favorite summer activities to keep active, and make sure I am still taking care of my body and mind. 

girl walking her bike down a boardwalk at sunset, there are fishermen in the foreground

1. A good bike ride. I’m sure, wherever you are located, there is some kind of bike trail or path. Take your bike out and enjoy the nice weather. Sometimes I have friends tag along. And other times I go by myself. But either way, spending the afternoon on a bike trail is one of my favorite pastimes, and a great way to relax, get outside and be active during summer. Just don’t forget your water and helmet! 

2. Morning/evening runs. I am a cardio fan, so this might not be for everyone. But if you are like me, and enjoy running, try to get out for a sunrise or sunset run. The time will fly by with pretty views, and it’s a lot cooler at these times to be able to go out without harsh sunlight beating down on you.

3. Moving outside. If you’re more of a strength training person, try your best to take that outside too! A lot can be accomplished with a yoga mat, and a resistance band. 

4. Read or Journal. Another way I like to get outside, but relax more, is to take a book or journal to a park or field somewhere. Journaling what is on your mind recently is a fun way to be able to look back on your life years later, or just a way to relieve some stress. Plus if you take your journal to a park, it makes you feel like the main character. 

5. Head to the Beach. Of course a beach day is a given! Swimming is a great way to get some exercise and you can spend the rest of the day relaxing on the sand. 

6. Kayaking! If you’re near campus this summer, the sailing center has free kayaking or paddle boarding for students. Head out there and try it out with some friends! I have a kayak that I can take out on a river or lake, and I always find it so much fun to go out with a friend and spend the afternoon on the water. Kayaking can be relaxing or a workout depending on the day you go, so check the weather to see how the wind will affect your trip. 

kayaking on lake, picture taken from a yellow kayak with guy paddeling toward camera

7. Cooking! Trying new recipes can be really fun. From finding something that looks good to eat, you can make a whole afternoon out of shopping for the ingredients, prepping it and eating it. Try finding your ingredients at a local farmers market for an added activity! 

8. Learn something new. I think trying new things in general is a great thing to do over the summer. Learning something new, while it can be scary because of failure, is really fun when you embrace the ups and downs. I’ve played guitar for a while now, but I am trying to learn new things on it and improve. You could try other crafts or try perfecting some skills on one you already do. 

9. Get creative! Any small activity can be fun with the right headspace. Try painting, drawing or doing a puzzle to work with your hands and ease the mind. 

10. Step away. Try spending a day away from the screen. This can be a set afternoon or a whole day. A reset to unplug for the craziness of online presence is a great way to relax the mind and focus on yourself more. 

Really the best way to spend summer is whatever you want to make of it. I love to be active and spend time outside. And all you can do is just embrace the moments and make the most of your days. 

These are some of my suggestions and I would love to hear what you think. Do we have any favorite activities in common?

Hi Everyone! My name is Madeline Bataille. I am going into my Senior Year as a Journalism and Spanish Blog writer madeline dringking coffee looking to the side with sunglasses on her head Major with a Minor in Gender and Women’s Studies. This will be my second semester with Campus Rec’s marketing team and my first time as a Program Assistant. I started last semester in a hybrid position as a photographer and blog writer. Now I will be helping to oversee these teams for the upcoming year. You can find me around campus drinking coffee from 193 Coffee House. Or doubling as the Photo Editor for The Good Five Cent Cigar. Over the summer, I am studying abroad in Spain to help complete my Spanish major. But for the time I will be home, I like to spend it outside with my friends, and help my sister plan her wedding!