A Summer of Books

Listen to Tara’s blog here. 

With an overly crowded bookshelf and a “to be read” list that never ends, I decided to create a Bookstagram this summer. My account, @taras_littlelibrary, has been a place to praise my current reads, leave honest book reviews, become friends with other booklovers, and express my passion for reading. 

Reading has always been a special escape for me. Stepping into a character’s shoes and adjusting to new lifestyles is an addictive hobby. I have recommended hundreds of books to my family and friends, something that pushed me to make this account. Instead of reading a novel and letting it collect dust on my shelf, I decided to share my thoughts with the world. 

Since beginning my account in June of this year, I have read a total of 20 books. Though this is not the most impressive number, it is one that will only grow with time. Bookstagram has allowed me to capture my favorite moments when reading and recommend books that I love. 

tara reading the house across the lake, poolside with sunnies and a yellow water bottle in the top right corner

Rating Criteria (1-5) Stars:

• Characters: Are they relatable? Are they developed throughout the story? Are they lovable?
  • Setting: Is there a connection to the place? Does it make me feel like I am there? Is it somewhere unique?
  • Did it leave me breathless?: Was there a pit in my stomach after closing the book? Do I wish there was more to read? 

5 Star Reviews: 

My latest read, A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas, exceeded my expectations. This adult fantasy series is one that has been a best seller for a long time and one that is talked about daily. Fantasy novels have the ability to transform your world, which is one reason why this genre is my favorite. Maas’ writing and storytelling is incredibly beautiful and the development of her characters is exquisite. Though I am only one book into this nine book series, I am already invested and aching to read more. A magical world is every Fantasy reader’s dream. The story is of a nineteen-year-old Feyre and her journey of being captured by a beast, Tamlin .When reviewing books, one of the most important aspects is to tell if the book left a lasting mark on your mind. Maas’ description of a glen, a narrow valley, did just that. When I close my eyes, I can see the glen whose water is made of starlight. My review for this book, again, is 5 stars. 

Court of thorbs book leaning up agaisnt wall with black and white art ad a rose in the lower left foreground

The House Across the Lake by Riley Sager was one of the most anticipated reads for the summer. Receiving 5 stars for my little library review, my jaw was on the floor the entire novel. Secrets, plot twists, and dynamic characters all make this book an intense page turner. One of my goals this summer was to read more diverse genres. This novel was the perfect way to incorporate a thriller into my bookshelf. As a widowed actress who has been escaping her grief with alcohol, Casey Fletcher tries to find peace at her family’s lake house in Vermont. However, this is the place her husband tragically died, and Casey finds herself watching her neighbors across the lake to distract herself from harsh memories. As Riley Sagar says, “be careful what you watch for.” 

I will let you in on a secret: my favorite author is Brigid Kemmerer. Though, if you glanced at my bookshelf, this would probably be your guess. After reading one of her earlier novels, Letters to the Lost, her books have remained some of my favorites. Therefore, there is no surprise that my new favorite series is The Cursebreakers Series. Since I have only completed two of the three books, I cannot rate the series as a whole. However, the two books I have read both deserve 5 stars. A Curse So Dark and Lonely, the first book in this series, is an extremely creative twist on the famous fairytale, Beauty and the Beast. This book, like all of Kemmerer’s books, changes POVs every chapter. Personally, this is my favorite tactic an author uses when writing. Changing from the main character’s Harper and Prince Rhen’s POV creates such a deeper storyline for the reader and allows more connections to be made. Harper has cerebral palsy yet continues to surprise herself and others by her strength when making sacrifices. Other characters like Prince Rhen and his guard Grey, play major roles in this story making the reader fall in love with both of these men. In the second book of this series, A Heart so Fierce and Broken, Kemmerer gives us a look into Grey’s POV, something that was alluded to in the earlier book. Grey has made so many sacrifices to protect Prince Rhen, but now he must make even larger ones to protect himself. With the third and final book being next on my reading list, A Vow so Bold and Deadly, I am so anxious to see what happens next in the Cursebreakers Series. 

The books mentioned above were just 4 of the 7 books I gave 5 stars to this summer. The other 5 star recipients are listed below: 

New to Liberty by Demisty D. Bellinger

Close Again by Ella Frances Sanders 

The Unhoneymooners By Christina Lauren

Tara sitting on a fountain reading a book in ny city

Now, it is time for (extremely) unpopular opinions. At first, I was nervous to share my thoughts on these next books. But, when I posted to my Bookstagram, I realized no one has the same reading experience. Therefore, forming your own opinions, thoughts, and reviews about a book is not something to be ashamed of. Instead, it is something to embrace. So, let’s get right into it. 

My least favorite read of the summer was a book that was insanely hyped up. I saw it everywhere on social media and in bookstores. The book… drumroll please… is Verity by Colleen Hoover. I took this book with me on vacation to Utah in hopes for an exciting, romantic read. Though I did finish it in one day and it kept me on edge, it was definitely not for me. I thought it was a very fast read and one that had creative potential. However, the plot seemed implausible and too predictable. There seemed to be a lack of character development (one of my favorite things about reading) for the protagonist and I wasn’t sure why Colleen Hoover started the book the way she did. Don’t worry, I won’t spoil anything! I have extremely high expectations for this book but unfortunately was disappointed. My rating for this book is 3 stars. 

There you have it! A summer of books. As we are stepping into the autumn air, there are so many spooky books I am adding to my list. I cannot wait to jump into the fall feel of things and review more books. 

Here is what I am reading next: 

The Silent Patient Alex Michaelides

A Vow so Bold and Deadly Brigid Kemmerer

How to Stop Time Mathew Haig

All the Light We Cannot See Anthony Doerr

If you are looking to purchase or rent books, check out some local bookstores! Wakefield Books, Rarities Books and Library, Happy Bookday Bookstore, and even our URI library! If you prefer digital copies, check out Kindle and Amazon Audio books as well. 

Stay tuned for my next blog about going to the gym with a personal trainer! 

Hi friends! My name is Tara Roumes and I am a junior here at URI. With a double major in journalism and Tara reading a book on a founain in newyork looking right English, you can always find me writing! When a pen isn’t in my hand, a fresh cup of coffee and a bookoften replace it. My love for books can be found on Instagram, @taras_littlelibrary, where I post reviews and connect with other avid readers. If I am not reading or writing, I am definitely claiming a front-row seat at any athletic event on campus, playing with my two dogs, or listening to Harry Styles. This is my first semester blogging for Inside Rec and I am so excited to share my experiences, thoughts, and opinions with you!