Traditions: Spooky Edition

Listen to Madeline’s blog here. 

Halloween has to be one of my favorite holidays. My birthday is the day before, so the whole month makes me excited not only for a fun night of dressing up, but also as a great way to celebrate my birthday. 

Because October is such an important month for me, I’m going to take you through some of my favorite traditions to get myself in the fall, halloween and birthday mood. 

1. Break out the sweaters 

Madeline in her favorite fall sweater, a jean jacket, jeans and a green beanie taking a photo in the mirror

I don’t think there is any better feeling than the first day you get to wear your favorite sweater in the chill morning air of fall. As an avid sweater collector, I look forward to the days of fall that I can finally dress cozy and comfortable. From my Taylor Swift cardigan to the sweater I thrifted, I will make them a staple part of my wardrobe every fall. 

2. Movie marathon 

Whether you decide to binge every old Disney halloween movie there is, or spread them out to watch one or two every weekend of the month. I think we can all agree on the supremacy of some of these nostalgic classics. One that will always be watched and possibly multiple times a season is “Hocus Pocus.” This fall I get the treat of watching the long awaited “Hocus Pocus two” filmed right here in Rhode Island!

3. Tea/pumpkin spice/ hot coffee 

Madeline drinking tea out of her favorite cat mug

As an iced coffee fanatic, I can also admit that I love to get into the warmer drink as it gets colder outside. You’ll still see me with an iced coffee in hand during the dead of winter. However, for the fun of fall I’ll get seasonal drinks in their true form of being hot. Some of my favorites are pumpkin spice chai or making myself a hot tea at night after my day. 

4. Candles 

Hot take, I am not one for fall or Christmas candles. In fact I still have a fall candle from a few years ago that will burn every so often when the mood is right. However the ambiance of candles still adds to the best feelings of fall. 

5. Halloween costume 

Madeline in her witch halloween costume

Growing up, this was always my favorite part of the season. I remember being so excited when our first halloween costume magazine would come in the mail. I remember looking through all the fun different options and my mom helping me pick out what I wanted to be that year. My costumes spanned from being Cinderella four years in a row, to Hannah Montana, and one year a pink crayon. Birthday parties were always halloween costume parties and it always ensured a good time. More recently I’ve become thrifty with the costumes but they’re still just as much fun to come up with. 

6. Pumpkin picking 

Fall leaves

Another great birthday tradition was getting to pick out my pumpkin a few weeks before and then carving it on my birthday. I grew up in a rural town, so every year we would go out on the hayride to the pumpkin patch. I of course would spend my time looking for the biggest one that I had to get my dad to carry back for me. To this day going to pick out a pumpkin for halloween is still one of my favorite things to do. 

7. Jack O’Lantern spectacular!

Jacolanterns glowing at night

This one is a newer tradition I want to add. If you don’t know what the Jack O’Lantern spectacular is, then you’re missing out. Held in Roger Williams state park in Providence, the Jack O’Lantern spectacular is a Rhode Island staple to a fun halloween spirited activity. I went for the first time last year with my roommates and it was incredible to see all the beautiful artwork lit up on a chilly October night. I highly recommend going if you have never been. 

8. Rocky Horror 

rockoy horror picture film

A newer tradition of mine was started when I went to the production of Rocky Horror last October! The Gender and Sexuality center has a free show for students each year around halloween. Last year was my first time seeing the production of this cult favorite film. I had a great time learning some of the fun things fans of this show do and it’s something I think everyone should experience once!

What are your favorite halloween or fall traditions? Do we have any in common?

Hi everyone! My name is Madeline Bataille. I am a Senior at URI from New Jersey. I Blog writer madeline dringking coffee looking to the side with sunglasses on her headhave a double major in Journalism and Spanish. As well as a double minor in Art and Gender and Women’s Studies. This is my second semester with the Campus Recreation marketing team and my first semester as a Program assistant! You can find me around campus at 193 coffeehouse, or as the Photo Editor for The Good Five Cent Cigar. Some of my hobbies include playing guitar, taking photos, hiking and thrifting.  I look forward to another great year at Rhody!