Adjusting to a New Place When Studying Abroad

Listen to Tara’s blog here.

When I handed my boarding pass to the stewardess and stepped on to my flight to Cape Town, South Africa, a swarm of emotions fled through my body. I had a total of fifteen hours to think about if I made the right choice: leaping out of my comfort zone. 

I started the year of 2023 miles from my home in New Jersey. 7,839 miles to be exact. Stepping off of the plane into the summer weather of Cape Town was a breath of fresh air. With my two feet planted on the ground, I knew I was where I needed to be. 

Now, a week into my study abroad program, CIEE Open Campus Block, I have adjusted to being in a completely new environment. For the next five months, I will be traveling around the world. Within my first week of being away from home, I found myself falling into patterns to help me adjust, reflect and make sure I am having the time of my life while abroad. Here are some tips and refreshing ways I have been helping my body and my mind get acclimated while studying abroad!  

Traveling Alone

All of my life, I have traveled with family, friends, or had a companion with me. Therefore, getting settled on a plane for a fifteen-hour flight by myself for the first time was something I will never forget. It was daunting to have the responsibility of checking my bags, moving through customs and security, then boarding the flight alone. These things seem simple, but when you are put in a situation where you are by yourself and going to a new place, things get complicated. 

Because I became overwhelmed from leaving home and knowing I was traveling by myself, I found a way to stay calm and help things move smoothly. While running around the crowded and bustling airport, I stopped to remember that there are employees to talk to. Asking for help played a large role in allowing me to board the plane correctly without panicking. Once I was seated, I put my headphones in and played some of my favorite songs, and listened to artists that were comforting to me. This helped with my relaxation and also made me feel comfortable while being in the air far away from the comfort of my family. 

These two simple tips of asking for help and referring to comfort music made my travels move smoothly and made me feel more confident. 

Fear of the Unknown

One of my biggest fears in life is the unknown. There is something about being in a new place and having a feeling of uncertainty that shuts my body down. I realized while I am abroad, this fear is going to be present everywhere I go. I am going to be traveling to different places and seeing different things. So, I decided to make this fear and change it into my biggest motivation.  

Once I arrived in South Africa, I was unsure where to go or who to speak to. The rising fear of being out of place forced me to stay inside. But, I realized I was in Cape Town where the weather was great, and I was getting hungry. I headed to a restaurant and claimed a spot outside. After being greeted warmly by employees and having a conversation about why I was studying in Cape Town, I realized how common the fear of the unknown really is. 

Between the waitress and I, there was a miscommunication regarding what I had asked for. I told her I was ready to pay the bill and receive my check for the meal I was having. Instead, the waitress came back with a glass of ice and two shots of whiskey. When she saw the confused look on my face, we both shared a laugh before discussing what went wrong. 

Making mistakes is how we learn to communicate better with others, especially when it is in a new place. Misunderstandings happen all the time between locals, tourists, and students. After realizing that the waitress wanted clarification, we both communicated slower and more clearly to each other. I received the bill and made a memory that I will never forget. 

Stepping outside of my comfort zone on the first day of my trip was extremely nerve-racking. Fearing the unknown of what my day or interactions would be like made me want to seclude myself from others. But, once I sat down and realized locals were wanting to engage in a conversation, I was able to do it again and again until I grew the confidence I needed. 

Meeting New People

There are twenty-four students are studying here in Cape Town with the CIEE Open Campus program. Having such a small group allows us to connect with each other and bond over a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Instantly, we have all become extremely close even though we are from all around the country. It has been such an eye-opening experience to jump right into a 2-hour hike or squeeze into a cable car that took us up Table Mountain with people you have just met. Each of us comes from different places and has such different backgrounds. But, we have one thing in common: a love of exploring Cape Town. 

When exploring the city or walking along Camps Bay, I have met many locals. Immediately, we are greeted with a smile and many questions like “Howzit?” Then, we are given ample amounts of suggestions on where to eat, hike, hang out, or watch the sunset. Often, locals invite us back to have drinks or eat with their friends and family at a restaurant. It is experiences like these that allow me to embrace the culture and way of life in Cape Town. Attending local markets, fairs, and dance classes, or participating in a walking tour with locals reveal the hidden gems and important features this city has to offer. 

Traveling alone forces you to make new relationships. Studying abroad has really helped me interact with other students and build friendships that will last a lifetime. 

Staying Connected 

Communicating with friends, family, and other students is one of the best ways to adjust to a new place. Here, in Cape Town, there are scheduled blackouts called load-shedding. This is when the power cuts out for two hours at a time to save and reduce energy throughout certain areas. Load-shedding interferes with connecting with family and friends back home. It is at these times that other students and myself find spending time with each other in a common room or outside to be most comforting. Though I am a long way from home, speaking to other students who miss home or needs someone to talk to is a great way to build relationships and assist with being homesick. 

Time zone changes also play a large role in communicating with friends and family. I am seven hours ahead in Cape Town which makes it tricky to stay in touch back home. Thankfully, after adjusting to a new sleeping and class schedule, I have planned when it is best to call my family and friends. It is also important to know that communication may not happen everyday. At first, this may be something new to adjust to, but once a routine comes into place, you will find that simply sending pictures and videos back and forth is a great way to acknowledge where you are in the world.

Having this new experience of traveling alone, overcoming my fear of the unknown, meeting new people, and finding new ways to stay connected, helped me appreciate the journey of being in South Africa. This is just the first week of my five-month trip around the world. In just a week, I have learned ways to adjust to the life and culture here. 

I am looking forward to sharing more tips and sharing my experiences while here in Cape Town! Follow along for my next blog, “Have The Time of Your Life.” 

Hi friends! My name is Tara Roumes and I am a junior here at URI. With a double major in journalism and English, you can always find me writing! When a pen isn’t in my hand, a fresh cup of coffee and a book often replace it. My love for books can be found on Instagram, @taras_littlelibrary, where I post reviews and connect with other avid readers. If I am not reading or writing, I am definitely claiming a front-row seat at any athletic event on campus, playing with my two dogs, or listening to Harry Styles. This is my second semester blogging for Inside Rec and I am so excited to share my experiences, thoughts, and opinions with you! Right now I am studying abroad in Cape Town then I head to Sydney and Rome!

2 comments

1. Very nice blog. Have fun. The pics are cool. You do have to slow down the speech when you talk with the natives. Their English will be different and it‘s easy to try talking normal but you‘ll find a lot of experiences like the one with the waitress will be easier if you just slow roll. But two shots of whiskey ain‘t bad. Take care.