Keeping in Touch

Listen to Tara’s blog here.

I am writing this blog as I am packing my bags for my next adventure: Sydney, Australia. The time in Sydney is nine hours ahead of Cape Town, meaning that the time difference between my home in New Jersey, and from URI, is a total of over sixteen hours from Sydney. 

Keeping in touch with family and friends back home has been hard to adjust to. Whether you are an hour drive away from college, separated across the country, or separated across the world, being in contact with important people in your life can become tricky at times. 

In Cape Town, when my day is more than halfway over, my roommates in Narragansett are just waking up for their first class of the day. Then, when their day is over, I am already fast asleep and ready to take on the next day. Now, as I am heading to my flight to Sydney, with another change in time zones, I have to learn to adapt to a communication schedule while abroad. 

Because of time differences, there can be moments when you feel lonely. When I was living at URI, I had been so used to a set routine of calling my family, coming home to my roommates, and debriefing our days together at night. Now, I have to wait until my day is almost over to receive a good morning text. 

Looking back on the last two years of my college experience, I realize how important keeping in touch is. Not only for myself, but for others. Being in contact with your friends and family through new experiences, such as moving into college or getting on a plane alone for the first time, eases nerves by creating comfort. Being away at college I have not only learned a few ways of being better at keeping in touch, but also that communication can come in many different forms. For me, this blog and is a way of sharing my writing with URI. It has allowed me to not only connect and communicate with people in my life, but also with those that I don’t know. Though I am not communicating directly, it is a great way for people, like my parent’s friends, or extended family members, to read about and keep up with what is happening in my life. This is especially important now that I am across the world and not able to talk at times I am used to. 

My first suggestion to anyone who is struggling to maintain connections in their life is to write out a schedule. This helps organize personal items, such as classes or to set aside homework time. It can help show what time of day is best to communicate with friends or family. Whether that is an hour for lunch or thirty minutes before your favorite TV show starts, a phone call is always comforting. 

Next, I would suggest setting aside time to have a long conversation a few times a week. I have found that while I am abroad, I have shorter conversations with people from home. However, later at night before I go to bed, when it is midday in Rhode Island, my conversations are longer and therefore more meaningful because I have time to talk. These longer conversations keep me from becoming homesick and worrying about what I am missing while I am away. 

Another great way to keep in touch is through using digital photo albums. I personally take so many pictures and sometimes get lost when trying to choose the right picture to send to family. So, I have created photo albums where I place the pictures and share them all with my family. This way, they can look at the pictures at their own leisure. Additionally, using social media as a way to build connections helps me keep in touch with people as well. When I post on any social media platform, many of my friends who I haven’t seen in a while always reach out to me. This is such an easy way to start a conversation and build stronger connections while being away from home. 

During my time abroad, I have also learned that postcards are one of the best ways to show someone you are thinking about them. Here in Cape Town, the post cards have beautiful scenery, like Table Mountain or the beaches of Camps Bay. Sending a postcard home is incredibly meaningful. Plus, who doesn’t love receiving a special gift in the mail?

A final suggestion I have to not to be afraid to be the first person to reach out. I learned this during my freshman year of college. Because everyone is busy at the moment and everyone is adjusting to their own life, simply reaching out with a text message can change someone’s day. I found that once I reached out to my friends who were scattered across the country for college, they too wanted to have a conversation but did not want to interrupt my life or what I was doing. Reaching out first can help facilitate a conversation and help to form a better connection with the person whom you are speaking to. 

Being so far away from home, it often feels that people forget about you. Though that is not the case, this is why communication is so important when traveling, or when it comes to being in a new space. When I step onto the plane and as I fly into a new country, I too will be following these tips to ensure that I feel comfortable, loved, and safe during my travels. 

What are some ways that you like to stay connected with friends and family? Comment below and stay tuned for my next blog where I will talk about moving from Cape Town to Sydney. 

Tara reading a book on a founain in newyork looking rightHi friends! My name is Tara Roumes and I am a junior here at URI. With a double major in journalism and English, you can always find me writing! When a pen isn’t in my hand, a fresh cup of coffee and a book often replace it. My love for books can be found on Instagram, @taras_littlelibrary, where I post reviews and connect with other avid readers. If I am not reading or writing, I am definitely claiming a front-row seat at any athletic event on campus, playing with my two dogs, or listening to Harry Styles. This is my second semester blogging for Inside Rec and I am so excited to share my experiences, thoughts, and opinions with you! Right now I am studying abroad in Cape Town then I head to Sydney and Rome!

One comment

1. I have known your mum for years (she was my dental hygenist for over 25 years!) and have always kept a journal and always send postcards – and I write “real letters” besides texting and video chatting with family and friends in my home country of Scotland ……constant communications have kept me sane, when life threw me a dreadful loss.
    So I’m enjoying your blog. I actually just spent a month in Western Australia – and got to hold the cutest koala!