Being a Blog Writer: URI Edition

Listen to Tara’s blog post here

With just a few weeks left of this semester, I am rounding off my junior year as Rhody Ram. Glancing back at my time at the University of Rhode Island, I have been a part of numerous writing workshops, creative writing courses, and competitions. But, for me, one thing I will continue to look back on for years to come is the Campus Recreation’s Inside Rec blog. 

If you are interested in becoming a blog writer for Inside Rec, you are in luck! We are hiring blog writers for this summer and fall semester! 

This is my second semester working for Inside Rec; here are a few reasons why I love being a blog writer with Campus Recreation.

Community 

Rhody, Rhody, Rhody! Rams, Rams, Rams! Joining the Campus Recreation Marketing Team gave me a greater sense of pride for URI. I not only blog for the team, but I create copy content that is distributed across campus through promotional marketing initiatives. Seeing my work around campus and on the Inside Rec website is an amazing feeling. 

Joining the team has been a wonderful way to meet other students, like our photographers and graphic designers, who are also enthusiastic about URI and want to share their love for our campus with students and potential students. 

Joining the team is also a great way to showcase your writing, be a part of the community, and represent the University of Rhode Island. 

Being in such a positive community makes it easier for me to choose topics that students will enjoy reading, like what to do on the weekends or which movie to watch next! 

During my time abroad I have realized how caring our team is. Everyone is always supporting one another, bending over backward to make things work, and always lending a helping hand. 

Working in a Professional Environment 

Participating in a blog internship for Campus Recreation and having the opportunity to advance on to become a team member, is a great way to get your foot in the door and gain experience working in a semi-professional field. With the duty of blog writing comes the opportunity to practice to stay organized, work with guidelines and expectations, and collaborate and communicate with interprofessional teams. All skill sets that will help you prepare for your first job after graduation. 

But you’re not doing this alone. As a student, being mentored by our leaders will help writers create their best work and stay organized. Writing for the Inside Rec blog is an excellent opportunity to begin to learn what working with a team looks like.

After just a few days of being a part of Campus Recreation’s team, you will know how to better communicate, be more aware of editing mistakes, and find lifelong connections.  

Opportunity To Be Creative 

As an English major and journalism major, sometimes my writing assignments have restrictions or specific prompts to follow. At Campus Recreation, I have been given the opportunity to blog for the team about topics of my choosing. This is something that has made working for Campus Recreation extremely rewarding. 

Having the freedom to blog about books, food reviews, or write notes to myself, helps me find my voice as a writer. While traveling abroad, I have noticed that in many of my blogs, I follow a list structure. Additionally, I have found that some of my favorite topics to write about are “To Do” blogs or self-reflection blogs. 

With the opportunity to be creative, blog writing feels like an escape – something that brings me joy in my free time. If you love to write, you will love to blog for Campus Recreation. 

Self Reflection

For me, the blogs I write are not just for myself to look back on in the future. I write these blogs to provide a source for other students to read when they are looking for help or a shoulder to lean on. 

The Inside Rec Blog has provided a platform for students to refer to when they are looking for advice. Whether these topics are about mental health, things to do on campus, or book reviews, each blog provides a resource for students. Reflecting on my blogs, it gives me great joy knowing that my writing can help someone or encourage them to try something new. 

As an avid writer, these blogs display how my writing has improved throughout the years. It is so exciting to see where I started as a blog writer to where I am now. Additionally, my self-improvement, like finding new characteristics about myself or trying new things, can be seen in each of my posts. Being able to write about these new things and reflect on them is very fulfilling. 

I have loved my time working with Campus Recreation and I am very excited to continue writing blogs. If you are interested in becoming a part of the team, specifically blog writing, come and join! 

For more information about joining our team, email campusrec@etal.uri.edu and apply here. 

Tara reading a book on a founain in newyork looking rightHi friends! My name is Tara Roumes and I am a junior here at URI. With a double major in journalism and English, you can always find me writing! When a pen isn’t in my hand, a fresh cup of coffee and a book often replace it. My love for books can be found on Instagram, @taras_littlelibrary, where I post reviews and connect with other avid readers. If I am not reading or writing, I am definitely claiming a front-row seat at any athletic event on campus, playing with my two dogs, or listening to Harry Styles. This is my second semester blogging for Inside Rec and I am so excited to share my experiences, thoughts, and opinions with you! Right now I am studying abroad in Cape Town then I head to Sydney and Rome!