Checking in From Around the World: From Cape Town, To Sydney, To Rome

Listen to Tara’s blog here.

I am writing this blog from the desk of my apartment in Rome, Italy. Just across the street is a pizzeria and next to that a cafe. When I look out my window I can see the bustling people of Rome scurrying to the metro or grabbing a quick bite to eat. 

But me? I am exhausted from my ten-mile walk around the city. So, I wanted to sit back and check in from around the world! 

I have been traveling for almost four months and have learned and experienced some incredible things. Exploring out of my comfort zone has been something I have been doing every day. But, I have also been finding my favorite spots or favorite restaurants that make me feel a sense of comfort. 

Read about some of the things I have learned from studying abroad in Cape Town, Sydney, and Rome! 

Differences in Exploring

As many of you may know, I love to explore the area I am in. To start with Cape Town, my first study abroad location, exploring looked quite different from what I had planned. Every day that I was in South Africa, my days were booked with classes and excursions. Sometimes it felt like I had no time at all to sit down and relax. But, that was something I really enjoyed about Cape Town – being able to have days of activities, make endless memories, and most of all, explore with my new friends. 

Traveling alone for the first time meant I needed to make connections with other students. Each and every one of us were anxious for the first two weeks which led to really strong relationships extending over the remainder of our stay. In Cape Town, exploring was done with other students who wanted to see as much of the city as I wanted to. 

On the other hand, I was more independent in Sydney. Because of my internship, I was not around the group of students as much as I wish I could have been. Therefore, I only made connections with my roommates and some of the individuals that had traveled from Cape Town to Sydney with me. 

So, exploring looked a bit different in Australia. I was able to wander by myself, have the independence to make whichever turn I wanted, and take as long as I wanted in a bookstore. Though I missed exploring with a group, I felt a sense of freedom walking along Darling Harbour by myself. It was in these six weeks I noticed that making sure you have alone time to balance yourself is key. 

Now, in Rome, I am finding a mix of the two previous experiences. Though Rome is vastly different from Cape Town and Sydney, I am finding myself feeling the need to rely on a group but I also feel a strong sense of independence. As I said, I have been traveling alone for almost four months. When you are alone, there is a lot you need to figure out on your own which makes you a stronger traveler. However, being in a new city, especially with a different language, makes it a bit more challenging to do things by yourself. 

Exploring here, so far, has been fascinating. Whether I am walking alone to the grocery shop or to class with my roommates, there are historical sites everywhere. Finishing my second week here, I have noticed my independence may not come from walking around by myself, but it comes from planning activities or choosing excursions I would like to do best. 

Learning About Coffee Culture 

In each of these countries, experiences and learning about culture have been one of my favorite parts. More specifically, one thing I have quickly noticed in Rome, due to my addiction to coffee, is the coffee culture here. 

When I first started traveling, I was hesitant to drink coffee abroad. I wanted my travels to be seamless and with jetlag and caffeine, I wasn’t sure that was possible. So, when I was finally settled and jetlag free, I drank coffee in Cape Town. Quickly, I realized that there were many famous coffee shops around Cape Town– so obviously I had to check them out. Truth Coffee, where the coffee comes from “the world’s oldest coffee capital,” was my favorite spot. In fact, I bought four bags of coffee beans to take home with me! 

In Sydney, my coffee consumption slowed a bit due to the heavy jetlag in the beginning of my trip and the hectic internship schedule during the week. So, when I had coffee, it was from a cute cafe across the road. The coffee was delicious and strong, just like the coffee in Cape Town.

But, in Rome, things are very different. To start, more times than not, Italians order their coffee and stand up at what is called a bar. It is a counter space to lean on and rest your coffee as you drink it. If you choose to sit down at a table while drinking your coffee, you sometimes will get charged an extra fee. Additionally, you order your coffee first, drink it, then pay at the counter. This was something I had to get used to. 

The coffee in Rome, so far, has not wowed me. I enjoy the strong taste of coffee and have not experienced one that I enjoy. In Rome, it is always about having your coffee quickly and on the go. This was another thing to get used to. For me, I loved to take my time drinking my coffee in the mornings or even sit down with a book in the afternoon. But in Rome, I am always on the move. 

Tara’s traveling tip: Don’t order a cappuccino after 11 a.m. You will get some funny looks around you. Believe me, I have done it. 

The Language Barrier 

Throughout my travels, Cape Town and Rome have been the places where there was a language barrier. Though in Cape Town many people spoke English, it was hard to show respect when not being able to speak a language native to the area. In Rome, I am experiencing a greater language barrier. 

But, I have learned that the more you try, the more grateful locals are. I have been taking a Survival Italian course that is provided by CIEE and have been learning some of the basics to get me around town. Though I have already embarrassed myself by saying some of the wrong things, it is clear that locals, especially servers or baristas, love it when you try to speak in their language. 

It is quite common for many people in Rome to speak English due to the large tourism culture. However, I found it rewarding to learn some phrases or words to help me through ordering a dish at a restaurant. After all, I am in Italy where the language is considered to be one of the most romantic languages! 

So, here I am checking in from around the world by reflecting on the differences in my experiences exploring, drinking coffee, and learning languages. These are just three things that have been on my mind since finishing up my second week here in Rome.  

Thank you for reading and stay tuned for my next blogs as I finish up my study abroad journey in the next four weeks!

Tara reading a book on a founain in newyork looking rightHi friends! My name is Tara Roumes and I am a junior here at URI. With a double major in journalism and English, you can always find me writing! When a pen isn’t in my hand, a fresh cup of coffee and a book often replace it. My love for books can be found on Instagram, @taras_littlelibrary, where I post reviews and connect with other avid readers. If I am not reading or writing, I am definitely claiming a front-row seat at any athletic event on campus, playing with my two dogs, or listening to Harry Styles. This is my second semester blogging for Inside Rec and I am so excited to share my experiences, thoughts, and opinions with you! Right now I am studying abroad in Cape Town then I head to Sydney and Rome!