What Are Classes Like Abroad? 

Listen to Tara’s blog here.

You have made the decision to study abroad. But now, you must decide which classes to take. 

With a double major in journalism and English, I had to make sure I was on track with my credits and I was able to find classes that were right for me during my time abroad. 

Through the CIEE Open Block Program, just one of the study abroad programs at URI, I was able to choose up to three study-abroad locations. In each location, two classes are required. Though I can only speak for this program specifically, my class schedule is one that I am grateful for while studying abroad. With classes three days a week, five hours a day, I not only learn while traveling, but I also have opportunities to see more of the world around me. 

Entering the spring semester of my junior year, I have already fulfilled many of my major credits and many of my general education credits. When choosing classes while being abroad, I searched for courses that were within my major or close to my major. However, in most cases, classes tend to fulfill a general education requirement rather than a major requirement. 

In Cape Town, the two classes I enrolled in were Intercultural Communications and Leadership and Cape Town as a Global Emerging City. During the time I was in Cape Town, I made the decision to enroll in the communications course because it was closest to my major. But, I have learned that though some classes may not relate to your major, like the Cape Town as an Emerging City course, these classes will be ones that can stick with you forever, and teach you things you would have never learned at your home school in the United States. 

The length of both of these classes was two and a half hours each. Though this feels like a long time, we only have classes three days a week. So, my Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays are dedicated to school while being abroad. But, with a small group in Cape Town, and a local professor, being in class was a wonderful part of my experience in South Africa. 

In Sydney, I decided to participate in an internship rather than classes. This is one of the opportunities offered through the program, as well as an opportunity to do community service. This schedule was a bit different than my schedule in Cape Town. For me and my personal internship experience, I was working in person at the office on the same school days, three days a week. However, I was working nine to five on those days. 

This internship was focused on communication and business tasks. My role as an intern was to complete meeting notes for the CEO, write briefings, create press releases, and help out as much as possible. In addition to working in the office, I had a Zoom class every Thursday. This class was used to check in with our professor and other students who were participating in the internship program through CIEE. Here we should share our tasks for the week, speak about any struggles we are having, and discuss where we see ourselves in the future. With both of these commitments as a student, I was very busy in Sydney. 

Finally, here in Rome, I am back on a class schedule. I am taking two classes where I am in the CIEE Study Center from nine to three. With Rome being my final destination, I have realized how different classes are wherever you go. While in Cape Town classes focused on culture and gaining knowledge from locals, while here in Rome, I am learning more about history and architecture. I have found that I chose classes based on what I wanted to learn and what my interests are. Right now, I am enrolled in Mythology and Architecture and an Economics of Wine course. 

One of the best parts of being a CIEE student in Rome is being able to take such amazing historical classes. For example, for my Mythology and Architecture course. Almost every class period, we travel to different museums, monuments, and amazing places, such as the Vatican. We spend our time discussing the importance of these buildings which has allowed me to feel more connected to and grateful for the place I am currently living in.

At a first glance, taking classes abroad can be quite intimidating. But, once a routine is built, these classes are ones that are memorable. Through CIEE, I have been able to stay connected with my professor from Cape Town, participate in a professional internship, and visit monumental sites. 

If you have made the decision to study abroad, or you are still deciding, head to URI’s study abroad website here. Within the website, there are numerous tabs full of helpful information for students to start the application process. If you are interested in classes that the CIEE Open Campus Block program offers, visit https://www.ciee.org/

Thank you for reading this week’s blog. Stay tuned for my next blog where I will be sharing things to do in Rome! 

Tara reading a book on a founain in newyork looking rightHi friends! My name is Tara Roumes and I am a junior here at URI. With a double major in journalism and English, you can always find me writing! When a pen isn’t in my hand, a fresh cup of coffee and a book often replace it. My love for books can be found on Instagram, @taras_littlelibrary, where I post reviews and connect with other avid readers. If I am not reading or writing, I am definitely claiming a front-row seat at any athletic event on campus, playing with my two dogs, or listening to Harry Styles. This is my second semester blogging for Inside Rec and I am so excited to share my experiences, thoughts, and opinions with you! Right now I am studying abroad in Cape Town then I head to Sydney and Rome!