Books of the Summer

Listen to Tara’s blog here.

When walking into my local Barnes and Noble, I am always overwhelmed by the endless amounts of books I long to read. I could spend hours at a time walking through the aisles, reading the back of every book, and talking to employees about what to read next. 

But, when I asked an employee what to read for the month of June, here is what she replied: “There are too many to choose from, but here are my suggestions for books of the summer.” 

Together, we walked to a table display with a sign reading “Summer Reads.” With excitement and anticipation of choosing what to read next, Jamie, the employee, handed me Emily Henry’s Happy Place, my first read of the summer. 

If you are looking for books to read this summer, here are some of my most anticipated titles to read and some of my recent favorites! 

Happy Place by Emily Henry

While I won’t spoil any of these books for you, I will tell you that I am most excited to finish this book. Last summer, I read each one of Emily Henry’s books. They are the perfect summer read for a day out in the sun. Book Lovers, People We Meet on Vacation, and Beach Read, are all rated five stars on my scale (@taras_littlelibrary on Instagram). If you are like me and love all types of book tropes, from friends to lovers, strangers to lovers, or enemies to lovers, Emily Henry’s books are right for you and are always worth the read. Therefore, when Happy Place was released in late April, I was quick to order the book for summer. 

I am only a few chapters into Happy Place and I have not been able to put it down. With its relatable characters, witty writing, and bright cover, Happy Place is one of my most anticipated reads this summer. Stay tuned for a book review in a future blog! 

A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas

I read the A Court of Thornes and Roses, the first book of this series last year in September. The second book in this series, A Court of Mist and Fury was was released in 2016. Clearly, I found this series a little late. But, I have been too busy trying to clear out my “to be read” shelf instead of buying the second book of this series. But now that is on my bookshelf, it is my next summer read. 

For those of you who like fantasy and science fiction, this series is perfect for you! I have met and spoken to many people who rave about these books. Following the story of Feyre, who kills a faerie and has the option to surrender her life or be taken as a prisoner to the land of Faerie, this series is one to put at the top of your list. Once I finish this series, I am sure I will be doing the same – preaching and wanting to reread each book! There are eight books in this series. So, start reading, because once you pick up the first book, you will not be able to put this series down! 

Spare by Prince Harry, The Duke of Sussex

Because I love to read many fiction novels, I like to choose a few biographies to read during the summer to switch up genres. Last summer, I read Mathew McConaughey’s Green Light, which has become one of my favorite biographies. This summer, I hope to read Spare. If you like to follow along with the royal family and want a behind-the-scenes look at Prince Harry’s life, this book is right for you. 

I have always been intrigued by the royal family. I have watched all of the documentaries and Netflix shows like “The Crown,” but I have been putting off reading this book for a long time. Now, it is one of my anticipated reads for the summer! 

Tara’s Suggested Summer Reads

On my bookshelf, I have numerous novels that are perfect for the summer. As mentioned previously, Emily Henry’s books are all worth reading. Another author who I highly recommend reading is Matthew Haig. I have read How to Stop Time and The Midnight Library and was blown away by his writing and creativity. How to Stop Time is a beautiful novel about Tom Hazard who ages slowly but has been alive for decades. He seeks happiness and must make sacrifices to find it. The Midnight Library tells the story of Nora, who is wants to end her life. When she does, she is transformed to a library where she sees different stories of her life she could have lived. Matthew Haig does an incredible job at relaying the message that there is always more to life than we can imagine. These books are perfect for vacation or a day at the beach. 

Other books to add to your list this summer include The House Across the Lake by Riley Sager, which is the perfect mystery and thriller novel, New to Liberty by Demist D Bellinger, which is historical fiction, and The Unhoneymooners by Christina Lauren, which is a perfect romantic read. Each of these books are great summer reads and are books I always recommend to my friends and family.

On my bookshelf, I not only have all of these books, but I have even more sitting on my “to be read” shelf. As the weather is nice out and Happy Place by Emily Henry is quietly sitting next to me as I write this blog, I am now going to read in the beautiful summer weather! 

I hope you enjoyed my books of the summer suggestions! If you are interested in having more recommendations and book reviews, follow my Bookstagram

Stay tuned for next week’s blog where I take you behind the scenes of what it is like to work with Campus Recreation!