Behind the Scenes of Campus Recreation: Volume 1

Listen to Tara’s blog here.

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to work for Campus Recreation? Welcome to our first Behind the Scenes of Campus Recreation blog, where I will give you the Inside Rec look at who our employees are, what we do, and how we work at URI. 

This week, on our first feature, our Program Assistant for Content Creation, Ava, and our TikTok Lead, Rebecca, share their experiences working for Campus Recreation on the Marketing team, and what it is like to be a team member. 

Be Active, Be Well, and Belong – Campus Recreation embodies this slogan by creating a place to be oneself and participate in a variety of activities throughout campus. Additionally, the employees and students who are members of the Campus Rec department encourage and support each other, which builds a stronger community. 

“My favorite part about working for Campus Recreation is collaborating with my coworkers in the facilities,” Rebecca said. “The people are definitely my favorite part of Campus Recreation and I enjoy making content because there is always something to laugh about or relate to.” 

In areas of social media content creation – TikTok, Instagram, Facebook, and LinkedIn– you will find our Program Assistant Ava working the screens. She helps promote all program areas of Campus Recreation and creates content students will love. 

“My favorite part of working for Campus Recreation would be the creative freedom we have and the collaborative aspects,” Ava said. “Combining two of my passions, exercise and marketing, doesn’t make this feel like a job.” 

Both of these creators gave a sneak peek of what a day in life would look like as a team member of Campus Recreation. 

Rebecca’s workday starts with brainstorming ideas to create for TikTok. She starts to look for inspiration in Mackal Field House and explores the weight room, cardio room, basketball court, and track. 

“I find trending sounds on TikTok and create content whether it be with the machines or just speaking to the sounds…” said Rebecca. “My favorite part is interacting with students and getting them involved in TikToks through our ‘Mini Mic Toks.’”

Inside Rec Scoop: Mini Mic Toks are a fan favorite! This is when Rebecca and Ava stroll through campus to interview and ask students questions about a variety of topics! It is a great way to engage students across URI. 

“About halfway through each month, I start scheduling posts for the following month,” said Ava. “I look at any pre-scheduled events by the Pro Staff, for example, Key Log Rolling, Intramural Championships, RecFest, and FloURIsh Fest (click here to see those events). Once I review those events, I prioritize them first.” 

Behind every social media post is strategic planning. Ava correlates those posts to Instagram stories and then assigns other posts to our Graphic Design Team. Each post requires a picture to be approved as well as a caption. 

It takes a large team to create and run Campus Recreation Marketing. With members like Ava and Rebecca, we produce content that students across URI can enjoy  and relate to while scrolling. 

“Every staff member is always there to help and see you succeed,” said Rebecca. “There are so many great opportunities to get involved with the school and you get to know and meet so many great people. Working in a team environment has taught me so many skills that I will continue to use in my future.” 

If you are interested in joining our team, there are endless opportunities and experiences for you! 

“If you want to try out marketing, graphic design, or photography, this is the place,” said Ava. “This is a no-judgment zone, seriously. A lot of our staff have tried out specialties they haven’t tried before, simply because we give them the opportunity to do so!” 

Here at Campus Recreation, we work hard to promote and incorporate Be Active, Be Well, and Belong into the lives of our fellow classmates at URI. Through our content, blogs, and events, we encourage students to put themselves out there to create experiences that will last a lifetime. 

“You get to interact with students, work campus events, be featured in content, and more,” said Ava. “One of the most rewarding things is seeing students appreciate the content we create.” 

As we are entering July and heading towards our fall semester, take a look at all of the amazing things Ava and Rebecca have done for Campus Recreation so far this summer! Head to our TikTok and Instagram pages, and learn more about all the events happening on campus. 

“Don’t be afraid to put yourself out there,” Ava said. “I never thought I would be creating designs and content seen by thousands of students, nevertheless, a Program Assistant for Campus Rec’s Marketing Department!” 

If you want to join our team or check out our website, click here! Join our team this coming fall semester. 

Thank you for following along Behind the Scenes with Campus Recreation: Volume 1. Stay tuned for more inside looks at our team and what we do. Be Active, Be Well, and Belong!