Learning to Love the Journey

There is a very American depiction of the college experience we see growing up. Movies and books make it seem like dorm life is an integral part of that experience. I certainly felt that way. In high school, the “ideal” college experience for me always meant getting away from home, immersing myself in a new environment, finding new friends, and growing. Those dreams never included what is the reality for me and many other college students: commuting. 

I’ve had a very diverse college experience. My undergraduate tenure is split down the middle between two schools, one public and one private. As a transfer student from two dissimilar schools, I feel like I have an individual perspective on the combination of challenges and opportunities that two different campus experiences can provide.

I transferred to URI after five semesters of living in dorms, apartments, and college houses. When transferring to URI the biggest change for me was adapting to the commuter experience, but for many, that’s always been the reality. URI has commuter students from all over the state. Many live in off-campus housing in the South County or Narragansett area, near or with other students, but for many in-state commuters, it just makes sense to commute from home. Whether you travel from near or far, commuting can seem daunting, but it doesn’t have to be! There are many things you can do to make your transition as a commuter student easier. 

Transportation and Time Management

The first thing to consider as a commuter is pretty obvious: transportation. Luckily, URI has several options. Some people bike, others take the bus in from Providence or Wakefield, and a lot of us drive. Carpooling is also a great option for people who live close by because it saves big on gas money and is good for the environment. If you bike or take the bus, you don’t have to worry about parking and gas. But public transportation might mean sitting around longer than you want to wait for the bus. The best option depends on your situation. 

I drive from Cranston, which is a 30-minute drive on a good day, and an hour on a bad one. I’ve also taken the RIPTA to and from Providence many times, which meant a 50-90 minute commute depending on bus schedules. This was initially frustrating for me because I had to manage my time differently. So long to the days where I could roll out of bed twenty minutes before class- of bed twenty minutes before class- I now have to account for traffic, unexpected accidents ,construction, and parking on campus. You have to plan as a commuter, but this also creates a routine that is helpful for a lot of people, and I always leave enough time so that I don’t feel rushed getting to my first class. 

A common frustration among commuter students is that we have to allocate more time to getting to school in place of socializing or academics. I’ve grown to love my commute because I’ve figured out how to use it to my advantage. 

While driving, I listen to audiobooks or upload my class texts to a screen reader software so I can listen over Bluetooth while I drive. Being able to use this drive twice a day to get reading done means I can get a large portion of my homework done before ever even sitting down to do work. I recommend trying to find something you can do that’s productive during your commute. If you carpool you can go over your notes with friends and  if you take the bus you can work on physical homework. If you would rather spend your commute catching up with friends, don’t be scared to call one while you drive. Regardless, always prioritize your focus on the road and make sure your choice doesn’t interfere with getting to school safely. 

Social Considerations

Adjusting socially was the hardest thing for me as a commuter. Living on campus means living in the heart of the URI community with people your age. It gives you an immediate social network, and it’s easy to feel left out when lots of plans happen spontaneously. Hopefully, what I’ve learned through trial and error can help you out. 

The best thing I recommend is to join a club or a regularly scheduled group – the key to making friends is showing up! People tend to form relationships with people that they see regularly, so try to establish yourself on campus. I chose the coffeehouse in Memorial Union as my home base, where I have a network of coworkers and cafe regulars, and I also use club involvement to meet new people. 

URI has plenty of opportunities to connect with others – I recommend getting involved. There are club fairs a few times a year, but they usually accept members year-round. Campus Recreation is a great resource to connect. You can join a club team, intramural sports, and group exercise classes like yoga, cycling, Zumba, and F45 training. Campus Recreation offers over 65 group exercise options, with nationally certified instructors ready to help you achieve your goals. You can check out our website for even more opportunities to get involved through Campus Rec!

It’s also helpful for me to remember that I’m not alone in this struggle. On nights when I don’t feel like making the drive back to campus to go out with friends, I remind myself that not everyone is going out all the time. Since meeting other commuters I feel a lot better about my experience and have managed to find a friend group of commuters who don’t live far from me. 

Academic and Other Considerations

There are also academic challenges that are manageable if you are proactive. As a commuter, it often comes down to strategy and organization. My academic life became significantly easier when I scheduled my courses in bunches, with some gaps in between to study or grab lunch. Scheduling in bunches is helpful because I don’t want to make the commute multiple times a day. I also cannot stress enough how helpful it is for me to find time for lunch. Before I started bringing lunch I would be exhausted and irritated halfway through the day. So now I’m much more thoughtful about packing things in my bag so I can eat while walking between classes. 

As the weather gets colder and my car becomes a functional refrigerator, I’ve started packing a proper lunch and using my free block to sit in my car, eat, and decompress. As such, I am much more focused and energetic in my afternoon classes. 

Finding a regular study spot is also key, and I use headphones or earplugs so I’m less distracted.One of my favorite study spots is the URI’s commuter lounge. It is also really helpful to connect with professors! Many professors will accommodate you if their office hours don’t fit with your schedule, and in my experience, they are often willing to use Zoom or work with you over email.

In the end, I do much better academically as a commuter because I can balance my life more.  I like feeling like school and home are two separate parts of my life. Taking the stress home just doesn’t feel good to me, and when I lived on campus I sometimes felt like I couldn’t get a break. Living separately from school I feel significantly less stressed. 

While I initially hated being a commuter, finding these solutions and balancing my time has made me prefer living off campus. You do not have to miss out on your college experience because you don’t live on campus. It might not be for everyone, but if you are a commuter, rest assured knowing that you’re not alone.

By Milo Heard