Why You Should Become a Gem

As a sophomore at the University of Rhode Island, one of my favorite parts about our community is the workout classes offered on campus. These classes help my body to feel its best and ensure its care while being able to socialize with others and meet new people. 

My name is Lauren Marsella, I am a new blog writer for Campus Recreation’s Inside Rec Blog. I am a journalism major minoring in digital media and I love to write. Ever since high school, I was super involved in sports such as cheerleading and swimming. However, coming to URI, I wanted to discover new ways to move my body and meet others in the process. 

In the fall, I decided to sign up for a cycling class at the Anna Fascitelli Group Ex Studio. At first, I was unsure as to what to expect because I had never tried cycling before. The minute I walked into the studio, I was greeted and assisted with my bike. The welcoming atmosphere of other participants and the instructor made this new experience very exciting! The instructor helped guide everyone through the class with specific cues and motivational phrases to make sure the class was riding safely and each person was challenging themselves at their own pace. The inspirational words and uplifting music left me feeling so energized after class that I was eager to sign up for another.

Not only have I enjoyed cycling, but also yoga, pilates, and body pump are a few of my other favorite classes offered on campus. There are endless classes to sign up for on IMLeagues, and everyone is always welcome no matter where you are in your fitness journey. 

What Is the GEM Program? 

I am so glad I pushed myself to sign up for a cycling class freshman year because now, I am pursuing becoming a cycling instructor in the fall through the GEM Program. The 6-week program consists of two mandatory info sessions in which you will go over all the classes you can teach and the obligations and duties of becoming a GEM. 

The next step is receiving a mentor and shadowing the class. Your mentor will help you through the 6 weeks in learning how to teach a class, while also practicing confidence when demonstrating the skills. Once you feel comfortable learning the skills, your mentor will allow you to teach a segment of the class. Once you feel ready and capable of teaching, every student will prepare a 20-minute audition to demonstrate their skill sets. The last final step is to schedule an interview to discuss certification and employment opportunities. 

I have met a few great friends just by sitting next to someone, whether it was on a bike or a yoga mat, or even striking up a conversation. One piece of advice I have is to get yourself involved within the URI community and have an open mind as to who you might meet along the way. Interacting with many instructors after their class to complement their teaching and music choices, and building those connections has been the most important factor in helping me decide to further pursue cycling. I have seen the passion other instructors have shown through their dedication to teaching, and I would like to contribute the same.

In high school, I have taken on leadership positions such as captain of my cheerleading team, and in the summertime, teaching swim lessons. I aim to be a role model for other students who are passionate about cycling and hopefully inspire them in some way. At first, when I signed up for the group exercise mentor program, I was hesitant about the process but now I am enjoying my experience of working with my instructor to go over skills and techniques in teaching a class.

What I Have Learned from Joining 

If you are interested in becoming a GEM next year, check out https://web.uri.edu/campusrec/group-exercise-mentoring-gem-program/ which contains all additional information including an application form. I have learned so much from cycling in front of the room with my mentor, being able to teach a song, and learning to project my voice. Not only do you get to learn from your specific mentor, but meeting other instructors and getting feedback is also helpful. 

Attending different classes besides cycling and paying attention to how they are taught has helped me improve my strategies. No matter what class you are interested in teaching, two classes a week are required for the program. The first one is the class that you will be learning to teach, and the second one can be any workout class of your choice. There will be reflections on your class experience every week, which is beneficial in going over certain skill sets. However, this program is a commitment, and making sure you have enough time in your schedule to manage school and other extracurriculars is crucial. Once you complete the mentor program for the semester, you can move on to taking a certification test in the summer, and then apply for the position with Campus Rec in the fall.

Why You Should Join 

There are endless benefits in joining the GEM program. Some opportunities could be making long-lasting friendships, working on your fitness journey, and potentially finding a new passion! Taking on a leadership position as an instructor is a great way to improve your communication skills which will help prepare you for your future career endeavors. Some lessons I have learned from this program so far is time management and creating to do-lists. 

Finding ways to keep yourself organized has been helpful throughout this process. I have enjoyed every step in this process, and am looking forward to taking my certification test in a couple of months. My main takeaway is to push yourself outside of your comfort zone, no matter what that looks like for you. Finding cycling and other workout classes has been a great outlet for me in working out that feels good! Students  in the URI community should consider participating in this program as there are many benefits such as meeting new people, bettering your communication skills, and having a job where you can work out at the same time. 

There are endless job opportunities on campus however teaching workout classes to me has been the most fun and rewarding so far! To learn about all the different types of classes offered at Campus RecRec, check out https://web.uri.edu/campusrec/fitness-and-wellness/group-exercise/ for more!

By Lauren Marsella