Note to my Freshman Self

Whether you are a high school student preparing for your first year of college at URI in the fall, or an upperclassman, there is always something new to learn on our self-improvement journey and exploring ways to enhance our experience as Rhody Rams. The first year of college is a time for personal growth and independence, learning to live on your own, fostering new friendships, maintaining a healthy balance between social and academic pursuits, and also exploring new hobbies and extracurriculars! On this journey, navigating through these different pathways can be challenging, but during your transition, the URI community is here to support and guide you through this new beginning!

Upon my arrival at URI, I was hesitant about sharing a room with someone and establishing consistent time management habits. High school is very different from college, where you have boundless freedom in creating your own schedule and deciphering what clubs and extracurriculars you are looking to get involved in! To learn more about ways to get involved on campus and to feel more at home, check out our previous blog here! Inside Rec: Ways to Get Involved

Embrace Change 

Reflecting on my freshman year, the first thing I would tell my freshman self is to embrace change in meeting new people, trying new activities, and adjusting to living on my own. It did take some time to adapt, but once I established a routine, my experience in transitioning became a lot easier. I organized my days into time blocks, so I had time for the gym, time for homework and classes, getting lunch with friends, and time to unwind for the night to prepare for the next day. Embracing change involves adapting and learning as you go along. The biggest lesson I learned from my freshman year was discovering more about myself, improving my sleep habits, integrating daily exercise, and choosing a nutritious diet. Embracing change and trying new things is a great start to your journey at URI. At Campus Recreation, there are an infinite number of options in being active, being well, and belonging! As far as choosing nutritious choices on campus, there is something for everyone! I chose the unlimited plan so I could go and get food at my convenience, and I didn’t have to worry about running out of swipes. Check out the different meal plans here! Meal Plans.

Be Your True and Genuine Self

The second tip I would give to my freshman self is to be your true and genuine self. Building friendships can be difficult especially when everyone is still trying to figure themselves out. However, prioritizing yourself should come first! Campus Recreation offers an online self-care kit, check out Self Care Kit for Exams and Beyond for ways of coping with any issues you may be dealing with! During the first weeks of my freshman year, it was easy making friends as everyone was going and attending their first ever events at college. However, as classes and mid semester assignments started to pick up, I had to find a balanced social and academic life. Prioritizing yourself is crucial for maintaining good mental health! Ways in which I prioritized a balanced schedule is by organizing my calendar and writing down all the due dates, and then creating a separate calendar for upcoming events or time to spend with family or friends!  

Build Connections 

My third tip would be to build connections. Whether it’s with classmates, professors, or staff members, it is important to network and secure an internship or job in the future. If you are looking to become part of the Campus Rec team, check out our employment opportunities  for more ways to get involved. A great way to network is by attending career fairs on campus, checking URI Events for a list of upcoming events across URI’s campus, and also creating a professional profile online. Focusing on securing internships within your career path and a job will significantly enhance your resume and facilitate connections after graduation. Getting involved at URI is easy, however, it is about dedicating yourself and taking the necessary steps to reach your full potential!

Push Yourself to Strive for Success

My final tip to my freshman self  is to raise the bar by pushing yourself and striving for success! Challenging yourself to explore new opportunities in college will undoubtedly benefit you in your future career pursuits, as you will learn valuable life skills. Some essential life skills I have acquired from freshman year and throughout my college journey include developing effective communication skills and . Communication is essential in any workplace and is a lifelong skill. Additionally, I’ve learned to gain confidence and trust in myself when venturing out and trying new things. Joining the club crew team my freshman year provided me with valuable lessons in discipline and hard work. As I near the completion of the GEM Program, I have acquired substantial knowledge about teaching and being a leader within the URI community. The GEM Program has taught me to be more confident in my own abilities, learn how to interact and connect with participants while teaching, and also has helped me in discovering one of my favorite activities which is cycling! Everyone has the potential to make an impact, and so can you!

No matter what year you are at URI, we can always learn and improve together on making the best experience here! One important reminder is that you are never alone through your journey and that everyone is constantly adjusting, but as a ram, we all are in it together! 

By: Lauren Marsella