Why Club Sports?

Beginning one’s journey at URI is both exciting and overwhelming. I remember the variety of activities presented to me at RhodyFest during my first week of freshman year. I was thrilled that I could partake in multiple activities and get involved in the community.  After playing sports all throughout high school, I knew that I wanted to continue in athletics during my years at URI. The Club Sports Program has allowed me to get involved with the URI community, in a fun and competitive way. 

The Benefits of Club Sports

Club Sports is a great outlet for students of any year. I have played on the club field hockey team for two years, joining the fall of my freshman year. Having played field hockey since middle school, I knew that I wanted to continue playing in college, but not at the varsity level. The team has allowed me to play in a competitive and fulfilling environment, with less pressure than in a varsity sport. Club sports are a great opportunity, and they allow students to enjoy partaking in sports with peers, while at the same time, providing a sense of competitiveness. 

Finding a sense of community is something I sought out when beginning my college experience. In addition to playing field hockey, I am also on the club swim team. I decided to join the team in my second semester of freshman year. After not swimming competitively for almost four years, it was difficult to get back into the swing of things. But joining the team allowed me to surround myself with people that shared a common love of swimming with me. It was great to get an enjoyable workout in with my teammates. The swim team was extremely welcoming and encouraged students of all swim backgrounds to join the team at any point in the semester. There is a wide variety of skill levels on the team, as the club consists of individuals who are just beginning to swim competitively, as well as national swimmers. That being said, practices are inclusive and a great way to build relationships and meet new people. With meets, team dinners, and lifts, the swim team provides a comfortable environment for everyone.

I find that being a part of something larger than myself helps me feel a sense of accomplishment and fulfillment. Playing for my school with friends sparks a sense of school pride. Competing at the collegiate level is rewarding and an attainable goal for students of a wide range of skill sets here at URI. 

Balancing School and Athletics

Balancing two club sports with classes, schoolwork, and other responsibilities is ultimately very practical. Ava Amato, a senior on the club field hockey team states, “I love how club sports gives the ability to manage playing and being with my friends, while at the same time allowing time to balance my work.” While it is important to dedicate time to the club with practices, lifts, and competitions, club sports allows students to create a balance between school and athletics. 

This organization, and all other club sports teams are student run. Therefore, team captains understand when practices and lifts can not be attended due to schoolwork or classes. Spending time with my teammates while working out is an exciting part of my day and something I look forward to. Practices do not feel like a requirement, but rather a time to get away from the hassle of schoolwork and engage in a sport you love.

Countless Opportunities in Club Sports

Club sports are an excellent opportunity provided by Campus Rec. The program encourages students to continue playing the sports they love, or perhaps try a new sport. Furthermore, these teams allow for leadership opportunities. Ava Amato reflects on her time as captain, “Being a captain allowed me to take on a leadership role. It made me realize I can take on a role similar to this in my future career.” 

Ava’s words highlight the fact that there are several leadership opportunities within the club. Experiencing the role of captaincy of a college team is an amazing experience and helps individuals build relationships, communication, and organizational skills, and of course, prepares students for leadership positions within the workplace. 

The versatility of the sports, along with the travel opportunities available to athletes is another advantage URI possesses. As competitive teams, the club sports have opportunities to compete at numerous schools, primarily in the Northeast. This allows our athletes to explore different campuses and compete against students from a plethora of schools. Numerous of the club teams have a national competition each year, with travel opportunities and of course, the ability to compete against other college athletes on a national level.  This year, fourteen swimmers on the club swim team qualified for the national competition at Indiana University! Here, these swimmers will compete against other college club athletes all across the country. While the club sports program is not extremely demanding and intense, the opportunities and outcomes of the team are incredible. 

How to Join

With differing sports, the process of joining a team may vary. Some teams require tryouts in the beginning of the fall semester, while other teams such as swim and track and field allow students to walk on at any point in the year. Be sure to check the Club Sports Teams section of the Campus Recreation website to reach out to teams and inquire how to partake in your next favorite thing!

With 20 club sports here at URI, there is an abundance of opportunities for each student on campus. The benefits of club sports are endless, as they provide relationship building, the ability to continue playing sports in a competitive setting, an opportunity to explore a new sport, and most importantly, allowing students to exercise with their peers, one of the ultimate solutions for well being. No matter one’s previous experience with sports, there is always a spot for URI students in club sports.

By Erin Mullaney