Isabella Church ’22

New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine

At URI: I majored in Biological Sciences and French. I graduated from URI summa cum laude, completed the Honors Program, and spent a semester studying abroad. I was an EMT at URI EMS, a SURF/SURF+ research fellow, held an executive board position on a club sports team, was a member of Timmy Global Health, and volunteered with Habitat for Humanity. Off campus, I was a medical assistant at the Rhode Island Free Clinic, shadowed several physicians, worked at a camp for children with life-threatening illnesses, and volunteered at a local food pantry.

After Graduation: After graduating, I spent a year as a post baccalaureate research fellow at the National Cancer Institute of the NIH. Currently, I am a medical student at New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine.

What advice do you have to incoming Pre-Health students?

Work hard, take care of yourself, and enjoy the journey! It’s no secret that careers in healthcare are challenging and will require hard work, resilience, and sacrifice. The discipline and skills you start building now will become your foundation in professional school, residency/training, and your career. However, equally as important are your own health and well-being. Start prioritizing this now, especially during challenging times, and remember that you can’t take good care of others if you are not taking care of yourself. Lastly, these next four years will be some of your most formative, so take the time to try new things and explore who you are and what you are passionate about. Take it day by day, do the things that interest you, and don’t be afraid to alter your original plan.

How was Pre-Health a service to you?

URI Pre-Health helped me get to where I am today. Upon entering college, I knew I wanted to become a physician, but I lacked a plan to get there. The Pre-Health team worked with me to create an individualized path for achieving my end goal while taking into account the things I wanted to prioritize in my education (double major, studying abroad, etc.). They helped me through academic challenges and in finding clinical opportunities, even during the pandemic. By the time I began my applications, the Pre-Health team had gotten to know me personally and was able to help highlight my strengths and tell my personal story. I am very grateful to Dr. Simmons and everyone in his office for their help and guidance along the way, and highly encourage reaching out and meeting with them early on.