Sydney Chratian ’22

Ohio State University College of Medicine

At URI: I studied Cell and Molecular Biology, and specialized in Microbiology. At URI, I played on the women’s tennis team, worked as a research assistant in The Oaks Lab, and was the vice president of the Active Minds organization. I additionally worked as a teaching assistant for BIO101 and BIO102 and was a URI101 student mentor and a student athlete orientation mentor. I was also involved in the Delta Epsilon Mu prehealth fraternity, served as a hospice volunteer, and served as a pre-health ambassador as well! Finally, I completed the honors program which I highly recommend to anyone interested!

After Graduation: Upon graduating from URI, I relocated to Boston, MA to work full time as a clinical research assistant in the Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine at Brigham and Women’s Hospital. I am now a first-year medical student at the Ohio State University College of Medicine!!

What advice do you have to incoming Pre-Health students?

My advice to incoming pre-health students is to create a plan and stick to it! It can be hard to figure out how to get involved and gain experience in the healthcare field, but figuring out where your interests lie and creating a plan to explore those interests is the best thing you can do for yourself. Additionally, remember that your mentors, professors, and advisors are your most valuable tools on this journey, so don’t feel scared when reaching out to them for advice and guidance.

How was Pre-Health a service to you?

The pre-health office at URI was of great help to me throughout my journey to medical school! From the start of my collegiate career, I was able to connect with advisors for support and felt well-prepared to apply to medical school after graduation as a result of this. During the medical school application process, I utilized their guidance to prepare a competitive application and learn to present myself as a strong and committed applicant. I am grateful for the longitudinal involvement I was able to have with the Office of Pre-health Advising at URI and would certainly not be in medical school without their support!