Jasmine Miller, ’16

University of Connecticut School of Medicine

At URI: Majored in Biological Sciences (BS), Summa Cum Laude; completed the Honors Program; studied abroad in Costa Rica; Benjamin A. Gilman Scholar; Saint Elmo Brady Award recipient for outstanding achievements in the sciences among Black students;  Onxy Senior Honor Society; NSF Summer Undergraduate Research Fellow at URI; assistant coordinator and undergraduate research fellow, URI Science and Engineering Fellowship; summer research fellow, U-Conn Health Career Opportunity Programs; physician shadowing; resident advisor; President, Seeds of Success; Student Ambassador, URI CELS.

After Graduation: Clinical research assistant, Brown University-Alpert Medical School.

Jasmine’s Advice: Two practices have enabled me to succeed and maintain a steady state of gratitude and faith throughout this journey: self-discipline and the act of visualization. Practicing self-discipline in every aspect of life enhances productivity and endurance. I learned the act of self-discipline as a child in Taekwondo, and I have strengthened this skill over time through practice. I also believe in the power of visualization. I visualize every goal and every accomplishment I want – Visualize what you want in great detail, and do it daily. This habit has subconsciously directed my concentration, actions, and energy toward my dreams, and decreased the obstacles to achieving them. Eventually your energy and the energy of the universe will move you toward your goals. I know, sounds crazy, right? But it works! If you believe in yourself and practice self-discipline, anything is possible.