Olivia Traboulssi ’22

Boston University Henry M. Goldman School of Dental Medicine

At URI: I studied Biological Sciences. I was Pre-Dental Club President, DEM (Delta Epsilon Mu Pre-Health Academic Fraternity) Secretary, and DEM Education Chair. I also was a member of Women in Stem Club and the Delta Zeta Sorority, a Pre-Health Ambassador, volunteered at RI Free Clinic and Rhode Island Mission of Mercy (RIMROM), interned with Sprout and Stem, and shadowed at the VA Medical Center.

After Graduation: I recently entered my D1 year at Boston University Henry M. Goldman School of Dental Medicine.

What advice do you have to incoming Pre-Health students?

I strongly recommend that all students prioritize their academic performance by dedicating themselves to excelling in their coursework. Additionally, gaining practical experience through volunteer work or internships in healthcare settings is incredibly valuable when preparing for professional programs. To stand out as a well-rounded candidate, consider engaging in extracurricular activities and community service. Working with diverse patient populations will expose you to different cultural backgrounds and healthcare disparities, which are vital for developing cultural competence—an essential skill in healthcare. Also, forming a support network with professors, advisors, and mentors who can provide guidance and assistance in navigating the application process is absolutely crucial. I completely understand that this journey can be overwhelming at times, so remember to take care of yourself and maintain your mental and physical health!

How was Pre-Health a service to you?

The Pre-Health program at URI is exceptional. The advisors and ambassadors are consistently willing to provide insightful guidance and make time to answer any questions you may have. Dr. Simmons will be absolutely instrumental in your journey, so be sure to introduce yourself to him! His expertise will assist you in navigating the complexities of pre-health education and can aid you in gaining admission to your desired professional program.