Sara Bertuccio ’21

At URI:I majored in Biological Sciences and Psychology. I worked at the URI Center for Vector-Borne Disease conducting tick research and received an undergraduate research grant to conduct my own study. I volunteered as an academic coach for student-athletes through the athletic department and as a first responder through URI EMS. I served as a TA for PSY 334, pre-health ambassador, URI 101 mentor, trip leader for URI Service Corps Alternative Spring Break, and as treasurer of the pre-health professions academic fraternity, Delta Epsilon Mu. I was also a member of the Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society.

After Graduation: After graduating, I got my CNA license and started gaining patient care experience as a CNA at a skilled nursing facility. After a few months, I transitioned to working as a medical and surgical assistant at South County Dermatology. During my gap year, I shadowed PAs in primary care, gastroenterology, oncology, wound care, and LGBTQ+ health. I also studied for the GRE and took a Medical Terminology class online to bolster my application. I currently attend Duke University’s PA Program.

What advice do you have to incoming Pre-Health students?

There are so many opportunities available to you as a URI student – don’t be afraid to try new things! Not every organization or experience will be a perfect fit and that is okay, you can always pivot. Finding out what you aren’t interested in helps guide you towards what you are passionate about. Once you find those passions, dive in! Those experiences will be the most enriching and thus, the ones that really shine through on your application/in your interviews!

How was Pre-Health a service to you?

The Pre-Health team provided guidance throughout my entire college career! Dr. Simmons was always there to answer any question that I had and was extremely helpful when it came time to navigate the application process. I am so grateful for his help with fine tuning my personal statement and preparing for my PA school interviews.