- Phone: 401.874.5996
- Email: email@example.com
- Office Location: Woodward Hall, Room 238
My primary research focus is improving and developing disease control strategies for intensively managed turfgrass systems. Previous work has included the elucidation of bacterial wilt of Poa annua and creeping bentgrass, investigating the biology of nematode pathogens on turfgrasses in New England and examining fungicide resistance patterns in Colletotrichum cereale and Leptospherulina australis. I am currently working with collaborators from around the region studying the control and management of the beech leaf nematode. I have a significant extension component to my appointment and an heavily invested in disease diagnosistics. I have been managing the URI Turf DIagnostic Laboratory sine 2001.
2001 Ph.D. Plant Pathology @ Cornell University
(Minors in Mycology and Plant Breeding)
1997 B.S. Plant Pathology @ University of Massachusetts
- Jung, G., Hulvey, J. , Popko, J. , Mitkowski, N.A. and Vargas, J. 2019. Fungicide Resistance in Turfgrass Pathogens in Fungicide Resistance in North America, 2nd Ed. American Phytopathological Society Press.
- LaMondia, J.A., Wick, R.L. and Mitkowski, N.A. 2018. Plant Parasitic Nematodes of New England: Connecticut, Rhode Island and Massachusetts in Plant Parasitic Nematodes in Sustainable Agriculture of North America. Springer Nature.
- Deimi, A.B. and Mitkowski, N. 2017. Nematodes associated with pine trees (Pinus spp), in the Provincial capitals of Tehran, Markazi and Qom province, Iran. International Journal of Advanced Research in Biological Sciences. 4(7). 111-117.
- Mitkowski, N.A. and Ruemmele, B. 2014. Plants, People and the Planet, and Introductory Guide to Horticulture. 198 pp. Cognella Academic Publishing, San Diego, CA.
- Mitkowski, N.A and Chaves, A. 2013. Impact of demethylation inhibitor (DMI) fungicides on clipping yield and rooting depth of creeping bentgrass. Hort Science 48:1052-1055.
- Chaves, A. and Mitkowski, N.A. 2013. Virulence of Xanthomonas translucens pv. poae isolated from Poa annua. Plant Pathology Journal 29(1):93-98.