Undergraduate Highlight: Hector Ranero

Hector Ranero

Graduating Senior, Hector Ranero, strongly believes that psychology and art envelops a vast portion of our culture, communication, and overall well being. He is captivated by the blending of psychology and art.  When away from his family, academics, and workplace; he can be found in the studio creating sketches and rendering portrait paintings.

Hector was inspired by his PSY 479 course, Latino Psychology, with Dr. Jasmine Mena. The piece he created extends the intellectual concepts of the course to his art work.

Hector Ranero Art

Hector writes,

“Latino Psychology (PSY 479) was among the few classes that genuinely challenged my thought process and evoked critical thinking.  We tackled topics ranging from new vocabulary (e.g., Spanish, Latino, Hispanic, Familismo, and Color-Blindness) to topics such as the importance of being Black in Latin America.  Within that capacity, I was able to muster up a painting that complimented my new found knowledge of Latino Psychology and the continuing issue of feeling devalued because one does not have a Barbie doll personal appearance.  My painting illustrates and advocates for embracing ones natural beauty and roots. So, wherever my painting is humbly displayed, let it be known that curly hair, black straight hair, and afro-curly hair do exist. Let it be known that people who may not look like us, are beautiful people too.”