RI-INBRE Workforce Development Training (WDT) Summer 2023 Syllabus
Module Title: Advanced Drug Delivery Formulations
Instructor: Jyothi Menon, PhD, and Andrea Gonsalves, MS
This WDT Module aims to train students on the development and characterization of next-generation drug delivery platforms such as nanoparticles, microparticles and hydrogels. The module will include introductory lectures on drug delivery systems, hands-on laboratory experience with nano/microparticle and hydrogel synthesis and their characterization using techniques like dynamic light scattering (DLS), Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy (FTIR) and fluorescence microscopy. This module is intended to provide theoretical and lab-based instruction and training on drug delivery systems, and data generation and analysis, to prepare the students for further training in these and related research areas. The module will be completed
over 2.5 days and participants who complete the module will receive an RI-INBRE Certificate of Completion.
At the end of this module, students will be able to:
- Describe the fundamental principles of drug delivery technologies and their
- Synthesize polymeric hydrogels, microparticles and nanoparticles.
- Operate the DLS, FTIR and UV-Vis spectrometer and analyze the data obtained.
- Collect and process fluorescence images obtained using an EVOS M5000 fluorescence microscope.
- Communicate their findings in a verbal format using their own data and data presented in published scientific literature.
Students will be expected to maintain detailed laboratory notes to include:
- Nanoparticle/ Microparticle/ Hydrogel synthesis protocols
- Protocols for operating the different instruments (DLS, EVOS, FTIR).
- Data analysis protocols (e.g., workflows, software used, etc.)
- Observations during the experiments and final data/ graphs generated.
Resources Used in this Module:
- Standard Operating Procedure – Nanoparticle synthesis (available in the lab)
- Trainings to be completed prior to starting the module:
- Working Safely with Nanomaterials
- Bloodborne Pathogens & Biosafety Training
|Day 1||Day 2||Day 3|
|9:00 AM-10:00 AM||Introduction to drug|
concepts/ principles (Lecture)
|Medical applications of drug delivery formulations (Lecture)||Nanoparticle cytotoxicity
testing in vitro (demo + hands-on)
|10:00 AM-11:00 AM||Tour of the laboratory|
and RIN2 facility
|Drug release analysis and|
Sample collection for drug release (continued, Hands-On)
|Hydrogel synthesis (Hands-on); group work on presentations|
|11:00 AM-12:00 PM||Drug delivery|
and characterization (Lecture)
|Group presentations (groups of 2 or 3)|
|12:00 - 1:00 PM||Break||Break||Closing Group Lunch|
|1:00 PM-2:00 PM||Synthesis of alginate|
|Introduction to using DLS|
|2:00 PM-3:00 PM||Synthesis of PLGA|
|Final timepoint for|
microparticle drug release;
drug release data collection and analysis (Hands-on)
|3:00 PM-4:00 PM||Particle imaging using|
Sample collection for
drug release (Lecture/
|FTIR analysis of samples (hands-on)|