Who should submit an Early Alert Referral?
- Anyone concerned about a currently enrolled student.
When should I submit a Referral?
- At any point during the fall or spring semester (not during summer).
How do I submit a Referral?
- Fill out the referral form or call Early Alert Services at 401.874.5168 or 401.874.5527.
What if my concern is not included on the list of choices?
- Select ‘other’ and describe the issue in the comment section.
How will I know that my Referral was successfully submitted?
- Early Alert will respond to your referral within one to two business days.
What about confidentiality?
- Under FERPA, there is clear exception for any risks to health or safety. FERPA allows for communication to be shared among “school officials” who have a legitimate educational interest. Therefore, information regarding students may be shared on a strictly “need to know” basis.
Will my referral remain anonymous?
- It depends: If you wish to remain anonymous, we will do our best to do so unless it is a health and safety issue. Please note – any alert strictly about attendance and/or academic performance will be disclosed to the student unless the referring party requests otherwise.
What if I want to submit a second Referral on the same student during the same term?
- We encourage you to email or call us to let us know you have additional information regarding the same student.
Should I use Early Alert to report academic misconduct?
- Academic misconduct should first be reported to the Department Chair of the course in question and/or the Dean of Students.