Office of International Students and Scholars

Welcome to the University of Rhode Island Community

Student Employment Information

On-campus Student Employment

In general, both F-1 and J-1 students are permitted to work part time, on-campus during the academic year; and full-time during school official breaks or vacation. They must contact the OISS to complete the on-campus employment permission form before beginning a period of employment.  Any employment that is not authorized by our office will be considered as unlawful employment and will cause them to lose their immigration status.

Please Note:

  • F-2 dependents cannot accept employment or monetary compensation of any kind.
  • J-1 student-interns can work a full work load (35+hours) and receive wages at URI locations and/or affiliated employers only.
  • J-2 dependents are permitted to work with permission from the Department of Homeland Security (any location). They must obtain an Employment Authorization Document/EAD card before beginning employment.

Off-Campus Student Employment

Off campus employment categories for international students include: Academic Training (J-1 visa), Curricular Practical Training (F-1 visa), Severe Economic Hardship, and Optional Practical Training (F-1 visa). Look below for additional instructions about this categories of student employment.

Off-Campus Student Employment Categories

Academic Training/AT (J-1 Only):

AT allows a J-1 student to engage in employment, a URI internship, or co-op experience during or after a student’s exchange program ends. The employment must be directly related to their field of study. For questions and/or individual appointments concerning Academic Training, contact Melissa de Jesus:

Curricular Practical Training/CPT (F-1 only):

CPT must relate to your major and the experience must be part of your program of study.  A designated school official (DSO) may authorize CPT during your first semester if your program requires this type of experience. Your DSO will provide you with a new Form I-20 that shows that the CPT request has been approved.

  • You may work either full-time (up to 20 hours while school is in session; up to 40 hours when school is not in session), or part-time (19 or less hours).
  • CPT requires a signed cooperative agreement or a letter from your employer.
  • If you have used 12 months or more of full-time CPT, you will become ineligible for OPT

For questions and/or meetings concerning Curricular Practical Training (CPT), contact Amie Limon:

Employment Authorization Under Severe Economic Hardship

Only students whose financial situation has changed unexpectedly and/or beyond their control may apply for Economic Hardship. Applicable Examples: loss of financial aid, unexpected loss of sponsorship (partial or total), substantial fluctuations in the value of currency or exchange rates, large increases in tuition, medical bills, living costs, and/or other substantial unexpected expenses.

When processing a request to Employment Authorization under Severe Economic Hardship conditions, contact Amie Limon:

Optional Practical Training (F-1 Only):

Temporary employment for practical training that is directly related to the student’s major area of study and commensurate with the degree level. In most cases, students request Optional Practical Training during their last semester prior to graduate; or during their last semester while writing the thesis.

When processing an Optional Practical Training (OPT) request, contact Amie Limon:

Think Big We Do

Copyright © 2015 University of Rhode Island.