Italian

Student Profiles

See all student profiles

Lily Hampton

Lily Hampton on Mount Vesuvius

• Degree Program(s): Italian and Textiles, Fashion Merchandising and Design

Why did you decide to study Italian?

Throughout high school I studied Spanish, and when I came to URI I knew that I wanted to continue studying languages but at the time I wasn’t sure which. With a second major in Textiles, Fashion Merchandising and Design, it became apparent that the Italian language could become very useful in my future. Plus, I found it to be a very interesting language and culture!

What do you consider the biggest strengths of the Italian program at URI?

The Italian program at URI gives students the outlets they need in order to succeed. They provide out-of-classroom study hours, are extremely helpful with the study abroad process and professors are readily available to answer any questions or concerns.

What kind of study abroad experiences have you had as a URI student?

As a student at URI, I have spent a month in San Demetrio Corone, Italy which is in Calabria. There, I was a part of a language immersion program. In addition, I am currently studying abroad in Florence, Italy. I am attending Accademia Italiana for fashion and italian.

How will you use (or how are you using) your Italian experience at URI in your chosen career path?

Since I am currently abroad, I have been using my language experience at URI every day. In the future, I hope that it will help me with further studies abroad.

What do you love about being immersed in Italian language and culture?

I love that it gives me the chance to learn about a world outside of my own.