Piano Audition Requirements
Note: Students wishing to major in Music Education must audition
on classical piano
Candidates auditioning on piano will be expected to perform at least one piece from memory.
Those candidates auditioning for the Bachelor of Arts in Music or the Bachelor of Music in Music Education will be asked to play:
1. Four octave major scales, hands together, at a moderate tempo.
2. A Bach Two or Three-Part Invention, a first movement from a sonata by Haydn, Mozart or Beethoven (excluding Beethoven’s Sonata, Op. 49, No. 2 and the Moonlight Sonata) and a selection from the 19th or 20th century piano literature.
3. An invention or sinfonia by J.S. Bach or an étude from Czerny, Op.139 and Op.849.
Those prospective music majors auditioning for the Bachelor of Music degree in performance in piano are expected to demonstrate higher levels of proficiency. They will be asked to play from memory:
1. Major and harmonic minor scales, four octaves in sixteenth notes at a quarter note equaling MM92; major and minor triads and arpeggios, four octaves in sixteenth notes at a quarter note equaling MM60; diminished seventh arpeggios, four octaves in sixteenth notes at a quarter note equaling MM80.
2. A Bach Three‑Part Invention or a three‑voice fugue from the WellTempered Clavier, Book I or ff.
3. The first movement of a sonata by Beethoven, Mozart or Haydn excluding Beethoven’s Sonata Op. 49, Nos. 1 and 2 and the Mozart Sonata in Major, K. 545.
4. A selection from the Romantic Period of the level of Schumann’s FantasyPieces, Op 12, or a twentieth-century work of the level of Debussy’s Prelude La Cathedrale engloutie.
5. An Etude such as Moszkowski Op.72 and Chopin Op.10&25.
For more information contact Dr. Manabu Takasawa.
Note: Students wishing to major in Music Education must audition on classical piano.
For Audition requirements for Jazz Piano click here.
Organ Audition Requirments
Candidates auditioning on organ are expected to meet the requirements for entrance in applied piano or its equivalent in organ and be able to perform works comparable to Bach’s Eight Little Preludes and Fugues.