As a music student at URI, you’ll enjoy all the advantages of a small school, combined with big school opportunities for performance and study. You’ll take courses on music theory and musicology, explore questions of musical meaning, and perform in or attend any of over 100 concerts and recitals annually, both on and off campus.
Why Music at URI?
Inspiration and Support
Here you’ll join an intimate community of professionals who care about your success. You’ll work with distinguished faculty whose wide range of experiences and accomplishments will inspire you, and no matter where your musical goals take you, they will partner with you on your journey.
Endless Performance Opportunities
Performing is an integral part of our program, with a wide range of ensembles for you to choose from. We offer bands, orchestra, choirs and opera, jazz ensembles and all sorts of chamber music groups, for a full schedule of recitals, concerts, festivals, and more.
Plenty of Options
At URI, you can choose where your love of music will take you. We offer a B.A. in Music that you can combine with another major, a Bachelor of Music that prepares you to become a professional musician, music educator, or music therapist, a minor in Music, as well as M.M. programs in both performance and music education.
For a complete list of Events visit our Eventbrite page.
- URI alumni to perform in Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade -
- Below Broadway: Pit Musicians in the Spotlight -
- All that jazz -
- URI music professor brings music of hope, remembrance to Ukraine -
- URI Music Department Chair Mark Conley reflects on career, teaching philosophies and the future of music -
- URI musicians to take the stage at Newport Jazz Festival -
- Commencement 2023: Senior composer explores how art transmits emotion -
- URI Symphony Orchestra concert to feature overture by underperformed 19th-century composer -
- Costa Rican graduate guitar student finds a new stage at URI -
- Professor Emmett Goods brings jazz expertise to local middle school -
- Weekend Concerts Mix Music & Social Justice -
- URI Concert Band features original composition by student composer to open spring music schedule -
- The Great Necks lands on Billboard chart with new album -
- URI grad Ben Shaw gets classical with new album ‘Op. 1’ -
- Newport Teacher to March in 2022 Rose Parade -
- Why I Teach: Nicole O’Malley -
- URI’s New Music Therapy Major: A Cutting-Edge Program Bridging Music and Health - The College of Arts and Sciences welcomes its new Music Therapy undergraduate program beginning in the 2020 Academic Year.