Guidelines and Requirements
Candidates planning to major in music performance must audition by instrument. The requirements for each audition can be found in the links for each of the performance categories listed below. Candidates are expected to demonstrate an advanced level of technical and musical abilities, including three-octave major scales, if appropriate, on their instrument.
Students may audition in more than one performance area if they wish.
Students are allowed to audition on specific instruments such as bass clarinet or English horn, but once accepted to the URI music program, they will be required to take lessons for credit on the related primary instrument (i.e., clarinet instead of bass clarinet or oboe instead of English horn.)
- All candidates must submit the UNDERGRADUATE MUSIC ADMISSION AND AUDITION INFORMATION FORM to the URI Department of Music at least TWO WEEKS before their requested audition date.
- The form is a Microsoft Word document. Please download it to your computer, fill it out and submit as an attachment to Amy Botello at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Submission of this form does not guarantee you a spot on your requested date.
- All auditions require a confirmed reservation at least one week in advance of the audition date.
- Feb 27, 2016: Jazz, Percussion, Voice, Strings, Classical Guitar
- March 5 2016: Piano, Voice
- March 12, 2016: Woodwinds, Brass, Voice
- April 2, 2016: All Instruments
- May 6, 2016: All Instruments – non-scholarship
The music department requires an accompanist only for vocal candidates. Any vocal or instrumental candidate may bring his/her own accompanist for an audition.
If an accompanist provided by the music department is desired, the music which the accompanist will be playing must be received two weeks in advance of the audition date. Do not send copies by fax as they are unsuitable for practice or performance.
If an on-campus audition is impossible on one of the department’s audition dates, or if the applicant resides 400 or more miles from the University, a DVD or a high-quality CD may be submitted, provided that the audition repertoire complies with the announced department requirements. The Department of Music’s UNDERGRADUATE MUSIC ADMISSION AND AUDITION INFORMATION FORM must be filled out, printed and enclosed with the audition materials.