Billy Bowden

Location:

Rhode Island, USA

Level of Training:

(Level I – 2015) in PSY 478 Kingian Nonviolence Conflict Reconciliation Course, URI

About: 

My training in nonviolence education will be used in micro and macro conditions. Even the small or “normal” conflicts can be prevented by using my Kingian principles and even some meditations taught by Thich Nhat Hahn. I will be teaching next year at a school primarily for students with autism and behavior disorders. It will be a challenging environment but I’m embracing Principle 5, avoiding internal violence of the spirit and know it will help me adapt to the environment and help motivate the students to do no harm to themselves or others.

In the past, I used to have trouble controlling my frustrations and actually would get kicked out of my house temporarily because of it. Even though I laugh now thinking about my unsophisticated adolescent choices, I know now that the nonviolent life, including constant reflection, commitment, and also enjoyment of life. I hope to apply what I learned in this class to become an activist for those who are troubled, poor, or disenfranchised. Now that I have the tools, I only have to make the time to make the change.