Violence Prevention Team – Fall 2016

PaulPaul Bueno de Mesquita, Ph.D. I’m a Professor of Psychology and Director of the Center for Nonviolence & Peace Studies at the University of Rhode Island. For more than 30 years I’ve worked as a professional psychologist and advocate for children’s mental health. I specialize in violence prevention and positive psychological development, particularly in under-represented and underserved low-income communities. This is my 9th year to bring a team of students weekly to Central Falls to work with children using the Second Step Violence Prevention Materials. I love to put on my Attent-o-scope every Friday. Me gusto mucho.

Kay Bueno de Mesquita¡Hola Central Falls! I’m Kay Johnson Bueno de Mesquita and I teach in the School of Education and supervise student teachers at the University of Rhode Island. I’m a nonviolence trainer and especially like to introduce nonviolence to education students to help them create peaceful classrooms. I’ve enjoyed spending time with the CF children, their teachers, and their parents for the past four years. I love playing with Impulsive Puppy with the children!

Ryan HoltHi! My name is Ryan Holt. I am a School Psychology Doctoral Student at URI. This is my second year doing Second Step and this time I am the team leader. I enjoy teaching social skills and problem-solving in a developmentally appropriate manner. Este año voy a co-facilitar una clase de Second Step en Español.

Hello, my name is Chelsea Arceo! I am a senior at the University of Rhode Island. I am majoring in Human Development and Family Studies and minoring in Psychology. I enjoy trying new food, being outdoors, and attending concerts! I look forward to joining the awesome Second Step team this semester and making a difference in a child’s life! 

KatieHi, everybody! My name is Katie French and I’m a senior Psychology major with a minor in Peace Studies. When I’m not at the University of Rhode Island, I’m living on Block Island and working as a nanny. I can’t wait to work with children in a school setting, and hope to continue doing so in the future! My favorite animal is a cat, but I really like learning with Slow Down Snail too! 

Katie MaherHi, my name is Katie Maher and I’m a freshman at URI. This is my first year doing Second Step, but an as education major, I’m really excited to work with the kids. I love outdoor activities like camping and kayaking and I also like to read. I’m delighted to help the children learn and hopefully, they can help me improve my Spanish, too! 

Hi! My name is Olivia O’Connor, I’m a junior Psychology and Elementary Education major at the University of Rhode Island. I have lived in Rhode Island for my entire life and my favorite part about the state is how close I live to the beach! I have worked with the URI Jumpstart program for the past three years and I love reading with the children. I am excited to start the Second Step Program with the children of Central Falls! 

My name is Jennifer Pietrantonio. I am a junior, majoring in Psychology. I am currently attending URI and am thinking of one day becoming a school psychologist. I am so I am grateful for this opportunity to be able to work with the students of Central Falls! I look forward to working with Puppy, Snail, and Bunny and having so much fun each Friday. 

12642453_10154093809137203_3973846781808024291_nHello, I am Trudy Robinson. I am a student at the University of Rhode Island. Currently, I am taking a class in nonviolence with Dr. Bueno de Mesquita and learning about Dr. King’s principles and strategies. I’m particularly interested in ways to help create peaceful schools. I am looking forward to working with the Central Falls students and having the children help me practice my Spanish 

Kali SpallMy name is Kali Spall and I’m currently finishing my Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology at URI. I love helping others, humans and animals both, and just putting a smile on people’s faces. I love to laugh, I think it’s the best medicine life has to offer, and I always keep a positive outlook on life. Some of my hobbies include kayaking, cooking, and dancing. I’m excited to be spending time at Margaret Robertson Elementary School and getting to know everyone and enjoying this experience along the way!