Center for Nonviolence & Peace Studies

Promoting Peace and a Global Beloved Community Through Nonviolence

Central Falls 2nd Step Violence Prevention Team

SPRING 2015

Paul Bueno de Mesquita, PhD. I’m a professor of Psychology and Director of the Center for Nonviolence & Peace Studies at the University of Rhode Island. For more than thirty years I’ve worked as a professional psychologist and advocate for children’s mental health. I specialize in violence prevention and positive psychological development, particularly in under-represented and underserved low-income communities. I direct the annual International Nonviolence Summer Institute. A native Texan, I’ve been a life-long musical activist and singer/songwriter for peace, justice and nonviolent social change.

Kay Bueno de MesquitaHola Central Falls! I’m Kay Johnson Bueno de Mesquita. In addition to my time at the Center for Nonviolence & Peace Studies, I teach in the School of Education and supervise student teachers at the University of Rhode Island. I’m a nonviolence trainer and especially like to introduce nonviolence to education students as a way of bringing Dr. King’s principles and strategies into their lives to help them create peaceful classrooms. I’ve enjoyed spending time with the Kindergarten children, their teachers, and their parents at Robertson School for the past two years. I especially love bringing Impulsive Puppy to the children!Hi!

Joseph ArmendarezJoseph Armendarez and I was born and raised in Southern California. Currently, I am a third-year graduate student in in the URI School Psychology PhD Program. Through my work and studies in the field of School Psychology, I will strive to promote healthy cognitive, social, and emotional development. I like to calm down with Be Calm Bunny.

Maryam Attarpour-TrainerSalaam (Hi)! My name is Maryam Attarpour. I am a Junior studying Political Science and Gender and Women’s Studies at URI. I am a Level I Kingian Nonviolence Trainer and I’m also minoring in Nonviolence & Peace Studies. I’m very excited to be here at Robertson School and hope to help teach the 2nd Step Program to all the young learners! I work with Dr. Paul and Kay at the Center for Nonviolence and PeaceStudies and I like to spread peace and love wherever I go. I’m originally from Iran and I grew up here in RI. I speak Farsi fluently and love to teach Farsi, so ask me a question! This is my first time teaching so I hope to learn a lot from the wonderful teachers and students here. In addition to smiles, I love knock knock jokes, so joke away!

Billy BowdenHello Everyone! I’m Billy Bowden, a senior at URI. There I am studying English, with a background in education and psychology. I hope to pursue graduate studies in education and psychology, where I can learn to apply nonviolence and social-emotional methods into the classroom. Since working in Calcutt Middle School last summer, I feel connected and passionate towards the Central Falls community! I sure do like to play the Clap game with the children!

Cassandra CangianoMy name is Cassandra Cangiano and I am a junior at URI.  I am a Psychology and Elementary Education double major.  I am from Flemington, New Jersey.  When I grow up I’d love to be a 2nd grade teacher and eventually become a guidance counselor.  In my free time I like to play guitar, dance, and go to the beach. I always try to slow down with Slow Down Snail.

Mark CannyMy name is Mark Canny. I am from New Jersey, am a sophomore at URI, studying Psychology and Sociology. When I’m not outside and/or hanging out with my friends, I spend mytime drawing, reading, going to the gym, or surfing the Internet. I LOVE comic books, and Spider-Man is my favorite superhero. I hope to one day be a neuropsychologist to help anyone learn to cope with their neurological and/or behavioral problems! I’m ready to sing the “The Learner Song” with the Robertson children!

Maya GibbesHello! My name is Maya Gibbes and I’m a School Psychology graduate student. I started working with social-emotional curriculum for young children. I returned this year because I enjoyed the experience so much last year at Central Falls. I’ve learned a lot about how children learn in school. I feel very grateful to be a part of this team that supports children, teachers, and families in cultivating a healthy, compassionate community.

Raquel MendezHi! My name is Raquel Mendez. I was born and raised in Providence, RI. I am majoring in Political Science & Communication Studies at URI while minoring in French, Leadership Studies and Nonviolence and Peace. I am also a part of four organizations on campus, Multicultural Unity and Student Involvement Council (MUSIC), Sigma Lambda Upsilon/ Señoritas Latinas Unidas Sorority Inc., Alima International Dance Association, and Uhuru Sasa.

MelissaHello! My name is Melissa Morales. I’m a freshman at the University of Rhode Island, majoring in Biology with a minor in philosophy and nonviolence and peace studies. I will continue my education with a Master’s in Genetics and someday become a professor in genetic research. I want the people of today’s world to understand that the world we live in can always be a better place to call home. I love to put on my Attentiscope every Friday at Robertson School. Me gusta mucho.

TessyHola amigos! I’m Tessy Pumaccahua and I’m very happy to be a new member of the 2nd Step Central Falls Team! I was born and raised in Peru before immigrating to the US. I also lived in California for 10 years. I’m a PhD student in the URI School Psychology program with a Master’s degree in Child Development. My goal is to help children succeed both emotionally and academically in school, and to make school a welcoming and supportive environment for children from diverse backgrounds. I enjoy painting, spending time in nature, and playing board games with my husband. I love being calm with Be Calm Bunny!

Think Big We Do