Center for Nonviolence & Peace Studies

Promoting Peace and a Global Beloved Community Through Nonviolence

Central Falls 2nd Step Violence Prevention Team

Second Step Violence Prevention Team Fall 2014

Paul Bueno de Mesquita, PhD, is a professor of Psychology and Director of the Center for Nonviolence & Peace Studies at the University of Rhode Island. For more than thirty years Paul has worked as a professional psychologist and advocate for children’s mental health. He specializes in violence prevention and positive psychological development, particularly in under-represented and underserved low-income communities. A Level III nonviolence trainer, he directs the annual International Nonviolence Summer Institute. A native Texan, Paul has been a life-long musical activist and singer/songwriter for peace, justice and nonviolent social change.

Hola Central Falls! I’m Kay Johnson Bueno de Mesquita. In addition to my time at the Center for Nonviolence & Peace Studies, I teach in the School of Education and supervise student teachers at the University of Rhode Island. I’m a nonviolence trainer and especially like to introduce nonviolence to education students as a way of bringing Dr. King’s principles and strategies into their lives to help them create peaceful classrooms. I’ve enjoyed spending time with the Kindergarten children, their teachers, and their parents at Robertson School for the past two years. I especially love bringing Impulsive Puppy to the children!

IMG_4873Hi! ¡Hola! My name is Joseph Armendarez and I was born and raised in Southern California. Currently, I am a third-year graduate student in in the URI School Psychology PhD Program. Through my work and studies in the field of School Psychology, I will strive to promote healthy cognitive, social, and emotional development. I like to calm down with Be Calm Bunny.

My name is Cassandra Cangiano and I am a junior at the University of Rhode Island.  I am a Psychology and Elementary Education double major.  I am from Flemington, New Jersey.  When I grow up I’d love to be a 2nd grade teacher and eventually become a guidance counselor.  In my free time I like to play guitar, dance, and go to the beach. I always try to slow down with Slow Down Snail.

Hey everyone! My name is Mike Figueroa and I’m a senior at the University of Rhode Island majoring in Health Studies with a minor in Nonviolence & Peace Studies. I am originally from Puerto Rico but I now live in Providence. I joined the Second Step program last year and I am looking forward to another awesome year. I am a Hip Hop dancer so I enjoy music, dancing and most of all, having fun! After I graduate from college I hope to make an impact in my community as a leader in promoting a healthy lifestyle through Hip Hop culture. I can’t wait to play Follow Follow again!

Hello! My name is Melissa Morales. I’m a freshman at the University of Rhode Island, majoring in Biology with a minor in philosophy and nonviolence and peace studies. I will continue my education with a Master’s in Genetics and someday become a professor in genetic research. I want the people of today’s world to understand that the world we live in can always be a better place to call home. I love to put on my Attentiscope every Friday at Robertson School. Me gusta mucho.

Think Big We Do