Violence Prevention Team – Fall 2015

Violence Prevention Team

FALL 2015

PaulPaul Bueno de Mesquita, PhD. I’m a professor of Psychology and Director of the Center for Nonviolence & Peace Studies at the University of Rhode Island. For more than thirty years I’ve worked as a professional psychologist and advocate for children’s mental health. I specialize in violence prevention and positive psychological development, particularly in under-represented and underserved low-income communities. I direct the annual International Nonviolence Summer Institute. A native Texan, I’ve been a life-long musical activist and singer/songwriter for peace, justice and nonviolent social change.

Kay Bueno de MesquitaHola Central Falls! I’m Kay Johnson Bueno de Mesquita. In addition to my time at the Center for Nonviolence & Peace Studies, I teach in the School of Education and supervise student teachers at the University of Rhode Island. I’m a nonviolence trainer and especially like to introduce nonviolence to education students as a way of bringing Dr. King’s principles and strategies into their lives to help them create peaceful classrooms. I’ve enjoyed spending time with the Kindergarten children, their teachers, and their parents at Robertson School for the past two years. I especially love bringing Impulsive Puppy to the children!

Joseph ArmendarezHi! ¡Hola! I’m Joseph Armendarez and I was born and raised in Southern California. Currently, I am a fourth-year graduate student in in the URI School Psychology PhD Program. Through my work and studies in the field of School Psychology, I will strive to promote healthy cognitive, social, and emotional development. I especially enjoy working with the parents of the kindergarten children at Robertson School. I like to calm down with Be Calm Bunny.

Julia BroverHello! My name is Julia Brover and I’m a sophomore at the University of Rhode Island studying Elementary Education. I’m from Ridgewood, New Jersey. Last year I volunteered with the Jumpstart Program and loved helping children learn to read. I can’t wait to be a part of the Second Step team. I am eager to sing “The Focus Song” with the Kindergartners.

Mark CannyMy name is Mark Canny. I am from New Jersey, am a junior at URI, studying Psychology and Sociology. When I’m not outside and/or hanging out with my friends, I spend mytime drawing, reading, going to the gym, or surfing the Internet. I LOVE comic books, and Spider-Man is my favorite superhero. I hope to one day be a neuropsychologist to help anyone learn to cope with their neurological and/or behavioral problems! I’m ready to sing the “The Learner Song” with the Robertson children!

Melissa ContiHi Central Falls! My name is Melissa Conti and I’m a junior majoring in Elementary Education at the University of Rhode Island. I’ve loved working with children all my life and loved being part of the Jumpstart Preschool Program last year. I am eager to be a teacher some day! My favorite day of the week is Friday when I get to come to Robertson School to visit with the wonderful children in Kindergarten. I especially love bringing my friend Snail to help students slow down and be good learners.

Michelle Guarcas¡Hola! everyone! I’m Michelle Guarcas and a senior at the University of Rhode Island majoring in Elementary Education and Spanish. In my free time I like to play soccer with friends. I’ve been fortunate enough to student teach in school sin Pawtucket and Providence and have observed classrooms in Guatemala. As a future educator I look forward to helping students excel. I can’t wait to play “Follow Follow” with the children! Me gusta mucho.

Robert HalleyHello! My name is Robert Halley. I’m a new student at the University of Rhode Island. I am studying to become an elementary school teacher. My favorite subject is English. I’ve spent the last six and a half years working with preschool and kindergarten children both here in Rhode Island as well as overseas in England. I love reading and listening to music in my spare time. I love to put on my Attent-o-scope every Friday at Robertson School.

Alexa LevesqueHi there! My name is Alexa Levesque and I am a senior Elementary Education/Spanish major from URI. In my free time I enjoy reading and watching movies. I have worked before in Pawtucket, Woonsocket and this summer I was able to teach in Brooklyn, New York. I love teaching and cannot wait to be helping students to learn through this program and become more in touch with their emotions and how to express themselves. I am so excited to be in your school and working with the Kindergarten students! I like to slow down with Snail.

Cassie MHello! I’m Cassie Mandojana from Richmond, RI. Currently a first year graduate student at URI in the School Psychology Program, I plan to become a school psychologist. I am very exited for the opportunity to work with the students of Central Falls! I have a variety of interests within school psychology, including literacy development, behavioral interventions, and diversity issues in education. In my free time, I love spending time with my pets, reading, writing, photography, and scrapbooking. I’m having so much fun sharing Puppy with the Kindergarten girls and boys each Friday.

Alexia WilliamsHi! My name is Alexia Williams and I’m a Junior Elementary Education major at the University of Rhode Island. I love working with children and I’m very excited to be joining the Second Step team at Robertson School. I’m committed to helping all children reach their full potential. I especially love playing “Follow, Follow” with my new Kindergarten friends.