department of psychology

306 Chafee Hall, 142 Flagg Road, Kingston, RI 02881

uripsymajor@gmail.com401.874.2193 (p); 401.874.2157 (f)

Think Big, We Do.
Rhode Island Seal

Undergraduate Advising Guide

Connecting With an Advisor

All freshmen or sophomores will need to see an advisor to have your “Academic Hold’ lifted. Freshmen or sophomores should seek out advising services through University College. To make an appointment, log onto e-Campus and click “URI Advisement” to select one of the advisors listed under psychology. Freshmen may also contact the University College advising office for assistance 401.874-2993.

If you would like to schedule an appointment with an advisor outside of your major, log onto e-Campus and click “URI Advisement.” Select an advisor in the department of your choosing. Please note, you may also see an advisor for the honors program, pre-med, and pre-law tracks.

Walk-in advising is also offered through University College.

Before seeing an advisor, you should complete the advising worksheet for your major and bring it with you to your appointment.

Find curriculum worksheets for both B.A. and B.S. (current and previous years)

University College

Psychology students continue to receive advising from one of the UC advisors until they are transferred out of University College to the College of Health Sciences.

The pre-requisites for transferring for PSY BA majors are completion of:

  • PSY 113 with a grade of C or better.
  • Two of PSY 232, 235, 254; avg. grade of C or better.
  • PSY 200; grade of C or better.

And, the student has earned 24 credits or more.

College of Health Sciences

Once you have been transferred out of University College and into the College of Health Sciences, you will receive a letter from the Psychology Department Chair and will be told which faculty member will serve as your advisor.

Find out when your advisor has office hours. Stop by and introduce yourself. Meet with your advisor to discuss your future goals, courses to take and more.

“Waiting for Psychology” Classification

For students who have earned a considerable number of credits (i.e., 60 credits or more) but who have not yet met the above pre-requisites, probably because they changed to be a psychology major fairly recently, they are classified as “Waiting for Psychology”.

These students should see Dr. Mary Versteck in the Department of Psychology on the third floor of Chafee for advising either as a walk-in or by appointment. Keep track of how you are progressing in terms of the pre-requisites. As soon as you have satisfied the pre-requisites, see Dr. Versteck and ask her to submit the form for you to Transfer to a Degree-Granting College.

Copyright © 2017 University of Rhode Island.

The University of Rhode Island
Think Big, We Do.
A-ZDirectoryContact UsJump to top