Welcome to the University of Rhode Island Public Safety Department web site. The entire Department is always ready to respond to calls for service, as well as taking proactive steps to keep individuals and property safe. The divisions responsible for the safety and security of the students, faculty, staff, and visitors work together to protect them against injury, fire and other threats and to ensure that the University continues its mission in a safe environment. We encourage you to visit the various web pages of these teams that further elaborate the specific services provided.
The mission of the Public Safety Department is to assist in providing a safe and secure environment that supports the delivery of quality academics at the University of Rhode Island.
The University is fortunate to have a highly professional organization consisting of the following coordinated teams:
- University Police & Security – Fully Sworn State Certified Police Officers, Uniformed Non-Sworn Officers, and a Residence Hall Security Officer
- Parking & Transportation Services – Permit Sales, Planning, Shuttle Services, and Enforcement
- Environmental Health & Safety – Occupational Health and Industrial Hygiene, Hazardous Materials, Chemical Safety, Radiological Safety, and Biological Safety
- Fire & Life Safety – Inspection and Code Compliance & Alarm Services
- Emergency Management – Provides planning and services for preparedness, response, recovery, prevention and mitigation and serves as the liaison with other local, state, and federal emergency providers and responders
- Communications and Technology – Dispatchers who monitor a wide array of telecommunications, radio, video, and alarm systems under the direction of the Senior Information Technologist
- Administration – Consists of the Director, Assistant Director, Fiscal Clerk, and a Senior Word Processing Typist
- Community Outreach and Education – Coordinates internships and campus-wide training for emergency preparedness
At the University of Rhode Island, we have dedicated and committed ourselves to the safety of our campus population as a priority. The University is only a microcosm of a greater society; by working together, we make it a better place for all of us. Our site is designed to provide information about our group and numerous facts and suggestions to make your academic experience a safe and successful one.
Please do not hesitate to contact me, or any member of our team who can answer any of your questions or concerns.
Stephen N. Baker
Director of Public Safety