Mission: The Public Safety Department is to assist in providing a safe and secure environment that supports the delivery of quality academics at the University of Rhode Island.
Please click here for information and updates regarding URI’s response to the Novel Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)
Welcome to the University of Rhode Island Public Safety Department
At the University of Rhode Island, we have dedicated and committed ourselves to the safety of our campus population as a priority. The University is only a microcosm of a greater society; by working together, we make it a better place for all of us. Our site is designed to provide information about our group and numerous facts and suggestions to make your academic experience a safe and successful one.
The entire Department is always ready to respond to calls for service, as well as taking proactive steps to keep individuals and property safe. The divisions responsible for the safety and security of the students, faculty, staff, and visitors work together to protect them against injury, fire and other threats and to ensure that the University continues its mission in a safe environment. We are happy to announce that URI has been named one of the top 10 safest campuses, read more here. We encourage you to visit the various web pages of these teams that further elaborate the specific services provided.
Please do not hesitate to contact me, or any member of our team who can answer any of your questions or concerns.
Chief Michael Jagoda
Director of Public Safety
The University is fortunate to have a highly professional organization consisting of the following coordinated teams:
- University Police & Security – Fully Sworn State Certified Police Officers and Uniformed Non-Sworn Officers
- Parking & Transportation Services – Permit Sales, Planning, Shuttle Services, and Parking Enforcement
- Environmental Health & Safety – Occupational Health and Industrial Hygiene, Hazardous Materials, Chemical Safety, Radiological Safety, and Biological Safety
- Fire & Life Safety – Inspection and Code Compliance & Alarm Services
- Emergency Management – Provides planning and services for preparedness, response, recovery, prevention and mitigation and serves as the liaison with other local, state, and federal emergency providers and responders
- Communications and Technology – Dispatchers who monitor a wide array of telecommunications, radio, video, and alarm systems under the direction of a Police Sergeant
- Administration – Consists of the Director, Assistant Director, Public Safety Administrative Coordinator, and a Fiscal Clerk
- Community Outreach and Education – Coordinates internships and campus-wide training for emergency preparedness
To request a police officer or other public safety employee to attend your event or program, please click here. Please click here to submit general comments or concerns to the Department of Public Safety. To request a community policing event from Officer Paul Hanrahan to pass out food (such as hot dogs, ice cream, etc.) to students, please fill out this form.
If you require accommodations during or after an emergency or fire drill, please fill out our Public Safety Emergency List
Please review our Safety Video Below
Copyright © 2023 University of Rhode Island.