Fire Prevention Week
October 8-14, 2023 is Fire Prevention week. Click the link here for fire prevention tips.
Fire & Life Safety
Our mission is to ensure the safety of the University of Rhode Island students, personnel and visitors through the application of Rhode Island Fire Codes and Rhode Island Life Safety Codes. In addition, this work unit provides training, oversees fire-safety related and hazardous operations, performs building fire safety inspections and investigates university facilities to ensure that fire risks are minimized.
Fire safety is everyone’s responsibility:
- Learn emergency evacuation routes for your building, and review fire safety rules for your building or department.
- When in doubt, don’t ever hesitate to pull the fire alarm and call 911. All buildings have fire extinguishers (training available by request, contact Shawn Miner, email@example.com for more information).
- In a fire, the quicker you can access fire safety equipment the better, so become familiar with the location of fire extinguishers and manual fire alarm stations in your building.
- Consult the Emergency Guides for Fire Safety and Evacuation for persons with disabilities.
- Smoking is prohibited in all buildings on the University of Rhode Island campus. Smoking is also prohibited outside on the University of Rhode Island campus, with the exception of designated smoking locations.
The Fire & Life Safety area is responsible for the day to day fire safety of all four campuses. This area covers all fire safety inspections for Dormitories, Fraternities and Sororities plus the Administrative, Academic and Service buildings on all campuses. Please read HRL’s Community Policies Addendum and ensure that you do not bring items to campus with you which may be fire violations and are prohibited in the residence halls.
Interested in volunteering for the Kingston Fire Department? Visit their website for more information.