There are several ways to get involved with The S.M.I.L.E. Program as a URI student:
Click here for the Elementary Outdoor Science Adventure 2017
URI Ecology Field Day:
Join 4th graders as they come to the URI Kingston campus and become ecologists for a day! Students rotate through several outdoor and lab ecology related activities taught by Dr. Evan Preisser & Dr. Carol Thornber’s graduate students. They also tour the campus, eat lunch in the dining hall, and talk to Talent Development college students about going to college.
Elementary Outdoor Science Adventure:
Enroll in a spring semester course that meets weekly and work with other college students to develop an environmental lesson plan and teach it to 5th grade students at the Environmental Education Center at URI’s W. Alton Jones Campus (April 7-9)!
- Open to all majors, although knowledge of environmental science necessary
- Receive up to 2 credits in NRS or PLS and two certificates.
- To set up an interview, contact Heather Hamilton: email@example.com or 874-2036. We recruit in October of each year!
Middle and High School Engineering Challenge Weekends:
Attend an information session in February to learn about the challenge and how to get involved.
- Open to all majors. No knowledge of engineering necessary. Time commitment at event(s) is flexible.
- Receive a certificate of participation.
THIS YEAR’S UPPER LEVEL CHALLENGES AT URI
|High School: March 31- April 1 2017
|Middle School: March 3-4 2017