There are several ways to get involved with The SMILE Program as a URI student or professional:
A huge thanks to all those who volunteered during our spring annual events.
Like our Facebook Page to see photos.
URI Ecology Field Day:
Join 4th graders as they come to the URI Kingston campus and become ecologists on Thursday, April 12th! Students rotate through several ecology related activities (vernal pool, greenhouse, touch tanks) and complete hands-on activities. While on campus, the students will also tour the campus, eat lunch in the dining hall, and talk to Talent Development college students about going to college.
- Thanks to all the mentors who volunteered during this year’s Ecology Field Day.
Elementary Outdoor Science Adventure:
Enroll in a spring semester course that meets weekly and work with other college students to develop an environmental lesson plan and teach it to 5th grade students at the Environmental Education Center at URI’s W. Alton Jones Campus (April 6-8)!
- Open to all majors, although knowledge of environmental science necessary.
- Receive up to 2 credits in NRS or PLS and two certificates.
- View the schedule for last year’s EOSA.
- For information about participating in EOSA 2018, please e-mail Kelly Gallo at firstname.lastname@example.org. We recruit in October of each year.
THIS YEAR’S UPPER LEVEL CHALLENGES AT URI
|Middle School: March 23-24, 2018
Cranes & MagLev Trains
|High School: April 27 – 28, 2018
Solar Racing Cars
Middle School Challenge Weekend:
Join us at URI Kingston’s Campus on Friday March 23-24 as middle school students work to design, construct, and test a crane and MagLev train. Students will also take a campus tour, learn more about college admissions, and talk with professionals in STEM-related fields.
- Volunteer mentors do not need a background in engineering or science. Time commitment at event(s) is flexible.
- Thanks to all who came out during the event this year!
- If you have questions, please e-mail Claire Steggall-Murphy at email@example.com
High School Challenge Weekend:
Join us on April 27-28 at URI’s Kingston Campus as high school students work as engineers to design, build, and test a solar racing car. Students will also take a campus tour, attend URI Admissions Info Session, and learn about STEM career opportunities.
- If you have questions, please e-mail Jo Ann Basil at firstname.lastname@example.org