Kate Balestracci, MS, RD

Program Manager SNAP-Ed and CYFAR

401-277-5234

katebr@uri.edu

Kate is the project manager at the University of Rhode Island SNAP-Ed program, overseeing a staff of professionals, graduate students, dietetic interns and undergraduates. She meets new and existing community partners to enhance the opportunity for nutrition education in the low-income population of Rhode Island, writes reports for the Federal Government, and organizes and analyzes data collected through programming.

“I received my bachelors of science from the University of Massachusetts, Amherst in Exercise Physiology in 2003.  However, I should have known that I always wanted to go into a career in nutrition as my favorite job growing up was working at a frozen yogurt shop and creating healthy treats with the fruit and nut toppings.  I pursued my masters of science in Nutrition and Food Sciences from the University of Rhode Island and have been an accredited Registered Dietitian since 2007.  I am also an Accredited Practicing Dietitian in Australia, where I lived for 2.5 years and worked at the University of Sydney doing nutrition research. While I have had the opportunity to work as a clinical dietitian, my love is community nutrition, working in the community nutrition field since 2005 as a graduate student educator and professional educator and supervisor. There is great joy watching an “ah-ha” moment occur in the program participants when they learn something that is meaningful to them.”