TD Student Mecca Smith Awarded the 2013 Robert L. Carothers Servant Leadership Award

The Robert L. Carothers Servant Leadership Award is one of the  A. Robert Rainville Leadership Awards given each year at University of Rhode Island. 

Mecca Smith, President Dooley, and Melissa Reilly (L-R)

Mecca Smith of Providence, R.I., and Melissa Reilly of Mahopac, N.Y., were both awarded the Robert L. Carothers Servant Leadership Award. Smith, a senior, is double majoring in cultural anthropology and film media studies and double minoring in leadership and nonviolence & peace studies. She is a founding member of the URI Anthropology Society and the URI Film Collaborative, and served as treasurer for the URI Outing Club and secretary for the URI chapter of the freshman honor society Phi Eta Sigma. Smith has also traveled abroad extensively. Her destinations include Belize, Nepal, and Mexico. “From the first time I stepped foot on this campus during the Talent Development summer program, until now, my last semester…it has been my passion to work with my peers and with potential incoming students,” she said. “I love mentoring. It is one of those rare win-win scenarios in life where everyone benefits.”

Read More about the Ceremony and other Rainville 2013 winners in URI Today…