The University of Rhode Island has campuses in Kingston, Narragansett, and Providence, RI.
The main campus
of is 30 miles south of Providence, 75 miles from Boston, and 160 miles from New York City. R.I. Route 138, which connects with Interstate Route 95 ten miles to the west, passes through Kingston.
Directions to Kingston Campus
GPS Address: 75 Briar Lane, Kingston, RI (Robert J. Higgins Welcome Center)
Our main entrance is at the traffic light signaling the junction of Route 138 and Upper College Road. After turning onto Upper College Rd proceed to the first intersection and make a right. Just past the Campus Police station make a left into the Higgins Welcome Center parking lot to park, and walk to the front of the building to enter. You will find the Higgins Welcome Center, open year-round Monday through Friday 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (Saturdays during the academic year 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.) If you have special needs, please call 401.874.2133.
If you plan to park your car on campus Monday through Friday 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., you must pre-register using the University’s parking system.
Directions by Car to the Main Entrance
From the north, take I-95 South to Exit 9 (Route 4 South) in Rhode Island, follow Route 4 to Route 1 South. Stay on Route 1 until the intersection of Route 138 West. Route 138 West will bring you to the University.
From the south, take I-95 North to Exit 3A (Route 138 East). Continue east on Route 138 to the University.
From Newport, follow Route 138 West over the Newport and Jamestown bridges to Route 1. Take Route 1 South to Route 138 West. Follow Route 138 West to the University.
Directions by Car to the Ryan Center
GO GREEN! Use public transit.
- Amtrak 800.872.7245. The Kingston railroad station is less than a mile from URI.
- R.I. Public Transit Authority (RIPTA) 401.781.9400, 800.244.0444.
- RIPTA bus 66 connects URI to the Kingston railroad station, Wakefield, Galilee, Narragansett, Warwick, and Providence (dozens of weekday buses daily in both directions).
- RIPTA bus 64 connects URI to the Kingston railroad station, Narragansett, Jamestown, and Newport (a dozen weekday buses daily in both directions).
- RIPTA bus 210/211, Kingston Flex, provides door-to-door service by reservation only. Call toll-free (in R.I.) 877.906.FLEX (3539).
- Peter Pan Bus Lines (800.556.3815) connect Providence and Newport to diverse locations nationwide.
- T.F. Green International Airport, about 20 miles from URI, provides bus transportation and car rentals.
Getting around campus
Free campus shuttles circulate every few minutes during peak class hours, weekdays during the academic term. See Kingston Connection for detailed information.