Originator: Division of Administration |September 2012 |Policy #07-01
It is the goal of the University of Rhode Island to utilize and/or promote its auxiliaries, enterprises, cost-centers and other entrepreneurial services of the University for events and activities held at its campuses. Therefore, it is the policy of the University of Rhode Island that departments, colleges and other users of University facilities at the Kingston and Narragansett Bay Campus utilize the catering services offered by URI Dining Services for activities on these two campuses. This policy does not pertain to events held at the University Club.
When URI Dining Services is unable to provide such services or when otherwise inappropriate (because of the use of alcohol), such catering services of the University Club shall be utilized. If neither of the University caterers is able to provide the required services, an outside caterer may be utilized.
Consumption of alcohol at functions on the Kingston or Narragansett Bay Campus is prohibited unless held at the University Club, at the Mosby Center by special permission of the President, or at locations approved by the President. The expenditure of state funds for the purchase of alcoholic beverages is expressly prohibited. There shall be no reimbursement made with University funds for the consumption of alcoholic beverages. When the President permits the serving of alcoholic beverages at a function in University facilities, alcoholic beverages must be provided and served by the University Club.
To insure a consistent policy and procedure for the catering of food and beverages within University’s Kingston and Narragansett Bay campuses. The term “catering” applies to the purchase and serving of food, beverage and food-related items for consumption on University premises.
- Expenditures for catering services must be in compliance with the State of Rhode Island Office of Accounts and Control Policy No. A-36 on “Payments for Coffee Breaks, Luncheons, Dinner, Etc.” guidelines for all State employees on the use of state funds and all other pertinent state and URI purchasing policies.
- University departments, colleges or other users of University facilities seeking catering services:
- a. Must secure a price for URI Catering Services which has the right of first refusal to service the event. It is not mandatory to contract the services of URI Dining for any event under $100. URI Dining Services must determine if it is able to service the event and must provide a quotation to the user. If Dining Services is unable to service the event, it will inform the requesting department or individual by indicating such on the Catering Waiver Form.
- b. If Dining Services cannot provide catering, the department or user shall then contact the University Club which has the second right of refusal. If the UClub is unable to service the event, it will inform the requesting department or user by indicating such on the Catering Waiver Form.
- c. In the event that URI Dining Services or the University Club are unable to service the event, the department or customer then may use an outside vendor and must obtain proper insurance and food handling certificates for the outside food provider.
3. The Food Handling and Vendor Policy shall apply for all catering services provided on University property of the Kingston and Bay campuses.
4. If internal catering is waived, an external catering service must be procured through a Limited Value Purchase Order (LVPO), and compliance with instructions regarding competitive quote requirements must be followed. The waiver form must be signed by the University caterers prior to securing outside caterers and waiver form shall be attached to the LVPO. Failure to do so will result in violation of the LVPO requirements.
All departments, colleges and users of University facilities at the Kingston and Bay campuses are required to comply with this policy.