Unauthorized employment is a violation of your immigration status and has serious implications for your ability to remain in the United States.  It’s important that all students and scholars understand the employment options they are permitted under their status.

Employment is defined as any type of work or service in exchange for money, tuition, food, room, or other form of compensation. 

On-Campus Employment

Students in F-1 or J-1 status are permitted work on campus for up to 20 hours per week during the semester and full time during vacation periods.   On-campus employment includes:

  • Employment on the URI campus for a URI department, office, or facility: examples include graduate assistantship, employment at the library, dining halls, fitness center
  • Employment at a commercial firm that provides services to students: examples include the Dunkin’ Donuts in the Memorial Union, concession stands at the Ryan Center
  •  Employment that is located at a remote location, but paid by URI: examples include field research conducted off campus

Students who work on campus will need to apply for a Social Security Number.  International students are not eligible for jobs designated as “work study”.  If you have questions about what constitutes on-campus employment, please contact OISS to clarify before starting work.

Documentation Required for On-Campus Employment

All international students, researchers, professors, and post-docs go through the same employment process at URI. If you have been offered employment in any form by a URI department, please consult your department administrator to receive information on the steps you must follow to complete the human resources and payroll requirements.

All international students and scholars who will be paid by URI will need to complete tax paperwork at the time of hiring.  Please e-mail foreigntax@etal.uri.edu to set up an appointment.

Off-Campus Employment

F-1 and J-1 students are not permitted to work off campus without authorization. Unauthorized off-campus employment — including private tutoring, babysitting, ride-share driving, or working “under the table” in a restaurant — is a violation of status. 

F-1 students can be authorized for off-campus employment through Curricular Practical Training (CPT), Optional Practical Training (OPT), or Severe Economic Hardship.  J-1 students can be authorized for off-campus employment through Academic Training.  

J-1 student-interns can work a full workload (35 hours) and receive wages at URI locations and/or affiliated employers only.

F-1  Off-Campus Employment Authorization

Employment Opportunities

Browse job opportunities through RhodyNet, URI’s online career platform. Just use your e-campus username and Sakai password to log in.        



F-2 visa holders cannot accept employment or monetary compensation of any kind.
J-2 visa holders are permitted to work with permission from the Department of Homeland Security. They must obtain an Employment Authorization Document/EAD card before beginning employment.

We’re here to help

Office of International Students and Scholars
Office Hours:

Monday – Friday
8:30am – 4:30pm Eastern Time

International Center, 3rd FL
37 Lower College Road
Kingston, RI, 02881
Phone: 401.874.2395

Follow us on social media!
Instagram – uri_intl
X – uri_intl
Facebook – URI Office of International Students & Scholars