Graduate Student Success Coaching

About the Graduate Success Coach

The Graduate School provides students Graduate Student Success Coaching to help with time management, scheduling, planning, and overcoming obstacles to succeed in graduate school. Students can meet individually with a trained peer coach or attend monthly workshops. All services are free.

Graduate students who wish to improve their time management; find more effective ways to plan a suitable school-life balance; navigate the ins and outs of grad school; work on study skills; or address common challenges like procrastination, motivation, focus, or test anxiety can arrange an online (or in-person) consultation with Jordan Scott by scheduling an individual consultation meeting in Starfish.

Please click this link once you’re logged into Starfish — or navigate to “My Success Network” panel and select “Graduate Student Success Coaching” under “Your Services.”

Jordan Scott can also be reached via academic_consulting@etal.uri.edu. Academic Skills Consultations are 15–30-minute 1-to-1 meetings that offer students individualized advice on how to address any of these academic challenges they may be facing.

We also host monthly programs on a variety of topics, such as:

• Productivity and motivation
  • Overcoming writer’s block and other writing topics
  • Using winter and summer breaks effectively
  • Reading, focusing, and studying strategies
  • Planning
  • Time management
  • Test anxiety
  • Stress, self-care, and dealing with burnout
  • Dealing with rejection in academia
  • Tackling other grad-related obstacles

Meet the Graduate Success Coach, Jordan Scott

Jordan Scott is a PhD student and Instructor of Record in the URI English department, as well as the Graduate Success Coach for the Graduate Writing Center. Areas of research and academic interests include creative writing (fiction and poetry) and contemporary literature.

Read an Endorsement:

“Thank you for all of your help, guidance, and encouragement during the pandemic. I am doing very well!! Last semester I got a 4.0 and this semester it looks like I will get A’s again. I really appreciate all the advice and I’ve been applying it to my academics. I’ve been better than ever and I even got a job as a graduate fellow and hosted a live Zoom time management workshop. I’m not sure if you remember, but I was very anxious and fearful about public speaking. Again, thank you so much for all of your guidance and encouragement, I wouldn’t have made it this far without you!”