Andrea Winter ’20

Hometown: North Kingstown, Rhode Island
Specialization: Health Promotion Specialization (plus a Biological Sciences Minor)

Why URI?

When I was in high school, I always knew that I wanted to go to The University of Rhode Island. Growing up in Rhode Island, I wanted to stay close to my family, friends and the ocean so I knew that URI would be a great fit. URI had so much to offer through different majors, clubs and ways to get involved on campus and I felt this was the right choice for me.

Why did you major in Health Studies?

When I came into college, I was undecided on my major. I always had a dream of helping others and being involved with health care, but I was unsure of how I would make that happen. One day, I attended a health studies information session and I immediately knew this is what I wanted to major in. My goal is to become a physician assistant and I knew majoring in health studies would help shape me into a well-rounded student and applicant. Every class I took being a health studies major has deepened my knowledge and helped my love for health and the human body grow stronger.

What do you consider to be the greatest strength of Health Studies?

Health studies does a wonderful job at setting their students up for success. The College of Health Studies is always sending announcements for opportunities on campus, ways to talk to alumni and jobs that have become available. I always felt included and engaged in all of my health studies classes and this was so important to me. All of the professors in the College of Health Studies are so passionate about what they are teaching to the students and they truly want their students to thrive.

What experiential learning opportunities have you had at URI?

My sophomore and junior year, I was involved with the University of Rhode Island Service Corps and this was the biggest learning opportunity I had. I learned so much about myself during the two service trips that I was on and led. I learned about my passion for service, how I work in a leadership position and most importantly how to help others in a time of need. Another experiential learning opportunity I had was researching alongside Dr. Sue Adams on the Sleepy Faces Study in the URI Sleep Lab. We researched how students at the University of Rhode Island are affected by sleep and how sleep impacts different mental health illnesses. These opportunities allowed me to grow as an individual and get involved in areas I was passionate about.

Any advice for majors?

My biggest piece of advice for majors is don’t be too hard on yourselves! College is a time for you to grow and to learn about yourself as a person and as a student. Along the way you may make mistakes, but try to look at these mistakes as lessons for the future. It is so important to make goals for yourself and never give up on trying to reach them. Finally, take every opportunity you can and enjoy every moment because it truly is a fast four years.

What surprised you the most about URI?

I was surprised at the way URI helps their students. Professors and other members of the university were always willing to help in any situation. Whether it was academic or personal situation, there was always someone to turn to that was reaching out a helping hand. URI is such a welcoming, loving, and inclusive community.